Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this actually has nothing to do with breeding, but it does have to do with genes so i thought this would be the best place to ask.

is there any connection to the gene that makes bettas blue and the one that gives them crowntails? i was just wondering because, at least in my experience, the majority of CTs seem to be blue... or black... but almost never red

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
No. Tail types are different genetics. CTs come in every color that HM or HMPK forms do.

·
Registered
606 Posts
MrVampire is right.

Red Tail Room Flooring Feather

Here's a ct male that i have.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Marble is one.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Red is a very dominant color

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Red and marble. Marble can be introduced from non-marble parents carrying the gene. Once you add marble... you're not getting rid of it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Red and marble. Marble can be introduced from non-marble parents carrying the gene. Once you add marble... you're not getting rid of it.
Good thing I love marble :D

And this is why I am avoiding red bettas. I'm not fond of the reds unless it's pretty extreme, either extreme marbling or blotching, no solids, but I don't want them in my stock because red would be such a pain to get rid of.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Geno and Pheno are different. Geno marbles aren't always Pheno marbles.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geno and Pheno are different. Geno marbles aren't always Pheno marbles.
yes but for them to have the genotype and not the phenotype something would have to be dominant over the marble gene making it recessive. but what styggian said kinda makes sense (sorry if i spelled that wrong) :)

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Not neccesarily. Marble is a wierd gene. Like DT is recessive so no fry will have DT until an inbred cross is made. Marble can be recessive and dominant with just one cross. So maybe co-dominant gene?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not neccesarily. Marble is a wierd gene. Like DT is recessive so no fry will have DT until an inbred cross is made. Marble can be recessive and dominant with just one cross. So maybe co-dominant gene?
its been a while since ive been in biology haha but i think that makes sense :lol:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Lol Im in my 2nd year of biology. I want to continue it till I graduate.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I took biology in 8th, some biology now in freshman, and my next block is Envoirmental Science (basic biology... I laugh).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.