Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several bettas, and they all seemed to do better in their own bowl without a filter and everything.

I recently had one in a 10 gal tank with some neons, and he lived for about a month. So I now have a 10 gal tank with just neons, and I'm debating on whether to get another betta. Mine just died, but I'm not exactly sure from what. Maybe cottonmouth...

I have a 7.5w heater, but I have a feeling that it is not big enough for a 10 gal tank. Would rinsing the rocks with hot soap and water be good enough to clean them? Also, are water test strips okay to use to test the water, or do I need one that actually tests a sample of the water??

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it was very fast. :(

I would prefer not to tear it down, but wouldn't that leave the chance for the next betta to be sick. None of the other fish are.

I do want another, but first I need a proper heater, a test kit, and a thermometer. Can neons handle the same high temps that bettas can?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa, that is so overwhelming. Seriously, I never turn the lights off, and I've raised fish that lived a long long time.

I confused on the cleaning part. I just need to worry about cleaning the decorations?? What about the gravel?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I was under the impression that I needed to clean everything after the fish died.

Could I turn the lights out during the day instead of at night?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be posting so much, but if I get a new betta soon, I want everything to be ready.

What exactly needs to be cleaned before the new fish arrives? How much water changed?

If I get a test kit, what chemicals would I need to get in case things need to be changed?

If the water needs to be altered, how long do I need to wait before adding the new betta?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I just don't see why I wouldn't clean the whole tank, other than it can be a hassle to tear it down.

Okay, so say the levels are off. I don't add anything like I would if the ph was off, I just change the water. Man that's confusing. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, take current fish out, clean everything, and then do water changes once a week with vacc? As far as I know, the tank is not cycled. Sorry, all of this is new to me!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, one last question. The tank has been set up for about a month and half, and has had a few water changes. (obviously not enough) Starting from when the tank was first set up, the fish were added slowly. Is there any chance at all that the tank is cycled?? Will I know when I get the test kit??

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Filter was always running, media never replaced, and never 100% water change. Things are starting to make sense now! So what if the nitrates are higher than 10?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sweet! So.. clean gravel and decorations, get the proper heater, *turn lights out at night*, get the test kit to make sure everything's good, and get a betta!?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yep, I have a gravel vacc. Will vacc. the gravel work for cleaning after the previous fish died, or does it actually need to be taken out? Thanks for sticking with me on this.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, that's good. The neons are absolutely fine, and even try to mate.

Probably a dumb question, but why do I need to look for one that is fairly small?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh, I'm so excited! I'm working on getting a heater, but I've had to settle for test strips vs the liquid testing kit.

I always look for the active ones, or ones that are flaring, but the VT's that are at the lfs are all the same size anyways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.