Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a corn snake next week. I know the basics, that you need to feed them mice, etc. but how do you tell if it's a boy or girl? I really want to get a female and I've narrowed the name list it down to Kelsey, Casey, and Cassidy.
And another question: what size terrarium do they need? And what decorations do they like? Do they drink water from a bottle or bowl? If so, can I use tap water? Do they need a pool of water to swim in? Do they need sant, dirt or pebbles?
So yeah. What setup do they need in order to thrive? And how do I tell it's gender?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You should look up how to sex adult corn snakes. It's hard to sex snakes until they're older. Here's a link How to sex corn snakes.

What size terrarium do they need? Corn snakes can livetheir entire lives into a 20gL aquarium, which is only $30 at Petsmart.
What decorations do they like? Stumps and caves to hide in.
Do they drink water from a bottle or bowl? Bowl; they manly swim in it and poop in it. They get their hydration from food, so live pinky mice are best for them when they're young.
Can I use tap water? Tap water is fine, our cats and dgos drink it, so it's fine. Bottled water is really good too, though.
Do they need a pool of water to swim in? Yes; just one bowl.
Do they need sand, dirt or pebbles? The best substrate would be a reptile carpet at Petco or Petsmart. They're usually only $10 and can be washed over and over again. They're well worth it and they cannot be ingested,therefore it cannot harm your snake.
What setup do they need in order to thrive? You can set up a 20gL aquarium with the reptile carpet and then have a medium sized bowl with water that's changed daily. Have a cave or two for the snake to hide in, along with a light for it to bask in. You NEED a lid so that the snake doesn't escape. Mesh lids are good and will hold up the heat lamp without melting. I can calculate how much it will cost for everything if you buy it at Petsmart. I'll be back. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Decided to make a second post. Here's the list if everything is from Petsmart.

Corn snake - $47.49
20gL aquarium - $29.99
Deep dome lamp fixture - $17.99
Basking spot light - $8.99 (50 watts)
Infrared light - $9.59 (50 watts)
Reptile carpet - $10.99
Medium repti rock dish - $8.99
Medium wooden cave - $6.79

TOTAL:
$140.82 (excluding tax)

Remember that this is a one time payment besides the light bulbs which need to be replaced as they die. They can last a few years, though. You'll be paying about $6 a month or so if you buy a dozen pinky mice per month (which you won't need to). It will be very cheap after the initial big bucks for setup. That's how everything is. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts