Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the tittle says how long should I quarantine them for when I bring them home from the store?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
This is a rather hotly debated topic, and it depends on a lot of things. The one rule I go by is at least 2 weeks after the fish stop showing signs of disease. Also remember a QT tank must be a size capable of holding those fish for a while. For example, you can't QT 6 neon tetras in a 5 gal tank; they need at least a 10 gal tank. If you keep the stress to a minimum in a QT tank, you won't have to deal with as much disease.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of tank mates are you looking to get? How big is your tank?

I have a two gallon tank with one betta and i want to get two ghost shrimp. @thekoimaiden i meant newly bought pets from the store, i read they should be quarantined before being added to the tank

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't worry. I know what you mean. The whole quarantine topic and just how long is safe is what's being debated. Since they are not fish, ghost shrimp can be QT'ed just about a week. You QT fish to make sure any diseases they bring don't infect the whole tank. Since shrimp can't catch most fish diseases, you just need to make sure there are no external parasites on them and also be sure not to throw away the water they came in. A lot of diseases hide in the water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry. I know what you mean. The whole quarantine topic and just how long is safe is what's being debated. Since they are not fish, ghost shrimp can be QT'ed just about a week. You QT fish to make sure any diseases they bring don't infect the whole tank. Since shrimp can't catch most fish diseases, you just need to make sure there are no external parasites on them and also be sure not to throw away the water they came in. A lot of diseases hide in the water.
Don't throw away the water they came in? Or do you mean to throw it away?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Derp. I do that sometimes when I change my mind about how I want to write something. I mean don't add the water they come in to any tanks as it can harbor diseases. It's not fun for the fish, but I will often pour the water through a net and into a bucket and then flip the fish in the tank. If I play my cards right, that is the only time the fish has to be in the net.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derp. I do that sometimes when I change my mind about how I want to write something. I mean don't add the water they come in to any tanks as it can harbor diseases. It's not fun for the fish, but I will often pour the water through a net and into a bucket and then flip the fish in the tank. If I play my cards right, that is the only time the fish has to be in the net.
Should i add anything to the water to kill parasites or just do frequent water changes to the shrimp when i qt them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ill put them in the quarwntine tank when i get home
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts