Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I allowed to post this? I don't work for these people, and it's not a competing forum :-D

A friend of mine wanted to set up a new aquarium. She's on the other side of the country from me, so I talked her through it cycling, etc. THEN her tank stand broke while she was on a long weekend, the aquarium itself miraculously didn't crack (landed just at the edge of the carpet), but somehow in the fall the filter spun all the way across the kitchen and totally dried out. Luckily there were no fish yet. We were about halfway through the cycle and it was really frustrating. So I ordered her a seeded sponge filter from a place another friend had used. See link below. She got the sponge 5 days ago and set it up and began the fishless cycle process. And lo and behold, the little sponge did the trick and began eating through 3ppm of ammonia in 24 hours - cycled! I got her the large sponge for a 20 gallon tank. She's now happily caring for her new tank full of fish with great water parameters. So, for anyone who has a spare $10 and doesn't want to bother with a cycle (although I still think a beginner should go through the cycling process one time for good understanding), this one works and it's priced well. Better than bacteria in a bottle.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
People use angelsplus all of the time, it is the most recommended place to get seeded material from what I've seen on various forums.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear more positive reviews. I had never heard it recommended on this forum before, so I thought I'd bring it up. I'm a paranoid freak, so maybe I'll order one of these next time I set up a tank instead of taking media from my other tanks. I always think I'm going to take too much and crash the other tank...

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
The vulnerability of fresh live bacteria and the fact that it's mail-order only are two reasons why they aren't more recommended. Plus their unique filter is not always compatible with some set-ups.

Unless frozen, overheated or dried out, nitrifying bacteria can live for weeks by going dormant. Takes a long time for them to starve.

Your friend's tank may have had some bacteria in it already. Even Angelplus doesn't usually work in 24 hours.

As to whether it's better than bottled bacteria, we each have our preferences. TSS can be had at your local Petcosmart for $7. And nitrifying bacteria falls out of the sky (literally) and is free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts