Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a store that has ghost shrimp for 99 cents :D That means, I GET THEM!

So I want to set up the QT tank before I get them. I havea 2 gal I can use . I also boguht a bunch of plants so I am plannign on puttign them in the QT tank so they can qt with the shrimp . Then the shrimp get plants. Anyways.

I have a 6 Gallon tank for my betta, so realistically , how many shrimp can I fit in it with the betta. I have lots of plant s( will have more when the QT is done : P ) and a filter.

Also so the QT how much water shoudl I change weekly to keep thme healthy ? I will have about 5 strands of cambomba, 5 money worts, 3-5 vals, and a sword plant. Also , do they need a heater in the qt tank.. casue I only have one.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I found a store that has ghost shrimp for 99 cents :D That means, I GET THEM!

So I want to set up the QT tank before I get them. I havea 2 gal I can use . I also boguht a bunch of plants so I am plannign on puttign them in the QT tank so they can qt with the shrimp . Then the shrimp get plants. Anyways.

I have a 6 Gallon tank for my betta, so realistically , how many shrimp can I fit in it with the betta. I have lots of plant s( will have more when the QT is done : P ) and a filter.
Up to 30, no problems. :) I'd probably go with fewer, though. Maybe 20.

Also so the QT how much water shoudl I change weekly to keep thme healthy ?
I'd do 2x 50% changes per week.
I will have about 5 strands of cambomba, 5 money worts, 3-5 vals, and a sword plant. Also , do they need a heater in the qt tank.. casue I only have one.
No, they don't need a heater, but you do need to keep the temperature as steady as possible. :)
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just saying, since Ghost Shrimps are bred so easily, and in mass numbers they're prone to diseases and dying since they have weak immune systems. If you lose more than half of them, it's probably not your fault. I would try to aim for the smaller ones, big Ghost Shrimps means that they are older and will have trouble adapting, younger ones are the ones that usually survive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saying, since Ghost Shrimps are bred so easily, and in mass numbers they're prone to diseases and dying since they have weak immune systems. If you lose more than half of them, it's probably not your fault. I would try to aim for the smaller ones, big Ghost Shrimps means that they are older and will have trouble adapting, younger ones are the ones that usually survive.
Thanks ! i'll keep that in mind. Anything else I shoudl look for when picking the shrimp?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am loving the little Cherry Shrimps I've got in one of my tanks.. They're super active and "fly" around the tank. They share a tank with my one long finned betta boy who only occasionally shows interest in them.

I also just picked up an Amano shrimp for another tank and I'm not sure Manny the shrimp is gonna do since he's in the tank with my juvenile giant who is *slightly* more aggressive than my other bettas. Once I've got a good breeding colony going with my Cherry shrimps I might try a few in this tank so Manny has some company.

Have fun with your shrimps!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eh, its my petsmart that has them fro 99 cents. and it si the only store in my city that sells them, so 99 cents is good enoguh for me haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Walmart has ghost shrimp for like a quarter XD
Oh, and be CAREFUL! My boyfriend and I got a few more ghost shrimp from walmart, after we switched two of ours to the tropical tank since there was fewer fish and decided they needed some friends.. I don't know if it was because these shrimp were pregnant or what.. but they were VERY mean.
They killed a few of our fish, including our small pleco and I'm not being dramatic.. They would grab onto our fish and HOLD them down and eat at them. We lost at least 4 fish to those little guys so we got rid of them.

Our first batch was just fine, so just watch them for aggressiveness.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read soemwhere that ghost shrimp can sometimes be mistaken for these other shrimps that have bigger claws and are agressive, maybe walmart mislabeled them.

Anyways our walmart doesn't sell fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perhaps, but they looked the same as our other shrimp.
our walmart only has the ghost shrimp, but who knows... We decided no more shrimpies unless they're in the regular fish side instead of the tropical side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts