Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I waited 2 weeks for this 50 watt ViaAqua heater to arrive and I read the manual. Everything sounds fine until it says it requires a GFCI outlet only.. I think this outlet keeps it from overheating? It's an adjustable heater, so if I kept it at betta temp, how can it overheat? My previous pre-set heater was by tetra and it said nothing about this special outlet. My tanks are by my bed, with no GFCI outlet in the whole room. My question is, if any of you use this heater, is t really important to use this outlet if the temp is lowish betta friendly temp? Would it be safe? It also said that I can't plug it into a power strip. I mean, who has GFCI outlets hanging out in their normal room?

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 4 of these heaters. All are plugged into normal power strips that have breakers. The outlet doesn't keep it from overheating exactly. It helps prevent a fire in case of a short in the appliance, or a splash of water. They are pretty standard in wet environments. Make sure you have a drip loop and keep the power strip off the floor and you should be ok.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 4 of these heaters. All are plugged into normal power strips that have breakers. The outlet doesn't keep it from overheating exactly. It helps prevent a fire in case of a short in the appliance, or a splash of water. They are pretty standard in wet environments. Make sure you have a drip loop and keep the power strip off the floor and you should be ok.

okay thank you so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts