Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm worried that my tank may be overstocked and causing the aggressive behavior exhibited by my larger ghost shrimp. I have 20 shrimp and 1 male betta in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank ( 2 1/2 cups of Java moss, 1 marimo ball, 10 anubias, 7 water wisteria, some duckweed and frog bit ). They also have a cave that they never use. I've noticed that while the shrimp don't attack each other unless there is food, the larger ones (about 1-1.5") do like to pick on my betta when they see that he's eating. His tail is also looking a little frayed since they've been introduced about a week ago. I've heard that macro shrimp are often sold as ghosties, but I'm pretty certain they're not those species because mine have the orange spots on the tail and some red on the whiskers. Is this common just common behavior for larger ghost shrimp when over stocked? They only seem to go after my poor boy when he is eating even when they have food of their own!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No unless you count the many plants in the tank
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 20 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Betta Bits for betta, and Hikari algae wafers for ghosties
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once-twice daily for betta and every other day for ghosties

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Zyme, water dechlorinator, Flourish plant food, liquid co2 booster, sometimes aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? API test strips show that ammonia ranges between ideal and safe

Ammonia: Between 0-0.25 (according to API strips)
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly if you talk to many shrimp experts they agree that ghost shrimp tend to be on the more aggressive side of shrimp species. Also ghost shrimp do commonly have red/orange spots. So they may be aggressive just because which may or may not approve with giving them more space.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts