Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My name is Tara and I'm a first time betta breeder! I've decided to start off with a challenge (of course...) and go for giants because there are barely any here in Canada.

I'm going to start off with one male and maybe two females to get a hang of it.

I just finished getting all the equipment:
Some 5, 10 and a 20 gallon tank, food, filters, heaters, fake plants and hides for every tank, water conditioner and aquarium salt, a breeder box, water test kit and uhhh I think that's all?
I'm also gonna get them some mystery snails and moss balls for company :p

Now I just need to find and purchase some giants! I'm thinking of using aquabid since its so hard to find giants here in Canada. Anyone know of any good places that'll ship here? Wish me luck! <3

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We've done it guys! We got our first pair!

They're being shipped in from Thailand on August 8th and I'm super excited!

I hope the transit goes well and they're alive and healthy when they get here (I'm pretty worried but the breeder has a DOA policy so that makes me feel a little bit better...)

Here are my two new children! <3 We've got a blue marble male and a lavender female!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE! They’ve arrived here in Canada! I’m going to the transhipper soon so pick them up. I really hope they’re healthy and alive. I’m so excited!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They both are alive, seem healthy and getting accustomed to their new tanks :) The female is a lot more active and exploring while the male is a little more shy.
I'll post pictures and do a name reveal whenever I can get decent pics of them 😂

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good luck!

Something I’d like to add, just a bit of my own experience.

When it came down to me breeding giant bettas, it was difficult to say the least. It has to do with most of the giants being naturally docile. I ended up having quit the whole project all together!

This is not to discourage you or anything of the sort, just a little heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck!

Something I’d like to add, just a bit of my own experience.

When it came down to me breeding giant bettas, it was difficult to say the least. It has to do with most of the giants being naturally docile. I ended up having quit the whole project all together!

This is not to discourage you or anything of the sort, just a little heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE
Yeah, I know its a lot tougher than normal bettas! This'll be my trial run :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here we go!
Meet Ky (Kyogre) and Lunala 💕

Ky was very photogenic this morning and definitely coming out of his shell! (uh... scales?)

Lunala is settling a little more compared to yesterday. She's preferring to chill behind the moss balls or inside her little cave. Had a hard time getting a decent picture of her because of that! Couldn't get both her head and her body in the same frame 😂

Also a little extra pic of this snail having the time of their life LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright! I got a breeding tank up and cycling and I'm going to try to move the pair to the tank this upcoming monday. The male seems to be pretty active so I'm hoping that the won't have the typical giant laziness :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm way too excited/nervous and debating whether or not I should try today... Do you think it'd be an okay idea? They seem to be pretty comfortable in their new homes and not stressed at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I added Ky to the breeding tank and left him to swim around to make sure he knew this was his territory.
An hour later I added Lunala in a breeding box. Ky got SO excited! I've never seem him flare and dash back and forth so many times before! It's hilarious to watch!
No bubble nest yet but its only been about 10 minutes. I'm covering the tank for now so we will wait and see.
I will leave them overnight and check in the morning.

Here are some screenshots from a video I got of their interaction. I'll upload the full videos some time in the future.

Here he is showing off!

IMG_9126 (1).PNG

Hiding under the almond leaf cause he doesn't know how to impress her 😂

I've noticed he's been getting a lot more red on his ventral and anal fins and I'm really curious how he'll end up looking. That's getting a marble for ya... You never really know what you'll get 😋

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little bit concerned that Lunala isn't interested in him... I did the introduction this morning and at first it seemed fine but then Lunala lay at the bottom and started breathing heavily. I put her back into the breeding box and she seemed fine and even ate some food.
I'm going to give her a break and move Ky into the breeding box and let her have run of the tank for a while.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright we got good news and bad news!

Good news is I woke up this morning to them trying to spawn.
Bad news is they suck at it 😂

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AND WE HAVE EGGS! Not sure if they’re fertilized or not and the male isn’t picking them up and putting them in his bubble nest. He’s just continuing to try and mate. I’ll wait till there finished to see if maybe then he decides to care for them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bit of an issue with some egg eating so I separated as much eggs as I could and have them floating in a shallow plastic tub in the tank.
They’re still going at it though and it looks like he put SOME eggs in his bubble nest so we will just have to wait and see...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts