Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Beautiful names for a beautiful couple ❤
I liked your Facebook page, im Cemetery on there. So excited for you.

Reactions: Tara18

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So sad news...
A few days ago I noticed that I couldn't see any eggs in the nest. I hoped that maybe they hatched but I also couldn't see any fry...
I waited a few days and still nothing so I removed the male from the breeding tank yesterday.
I think he might have eaten the eggs... Not sure if it was because they weren't fertilized properly or something happened to them or if he just decided they looked yummy.
So first ever breeding has failed :(
Disappointing but also a good learning experience. I now know what to expect.

I'm going to wait about two weeks till I try again. I'm going to artificially hatch them this time and I've purchased some methylene blue to help with that!
Anyone have any tips for artificially hatching?

Thanks everyone for your support!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Something incredible has happened!
I was cleaning out the breeding tank getting it ready for the next time I try to breed them and I moved the hide and a little baby swam out!!!!
I think they’re the only one (honestly I’m kinda scared I threw some out while I was cleaning 😭 but I was checking well so I don’t think so...)

I don’t even know when it hatched or anything but they’re pretty small! Going to rehatch some more brine shrimp and hope this lil fella makes it ❤

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So more bad news...
I haven't seen the baby since I posted and I've checked everywhere. Went through the java moss and even searched the filter and nothing so I'm thinking it probably didn't make it.

The methylene blue arrived today so I'm going to introduce the pair together again tonight and hopefully we will get some eggs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Second spawning: somewhat successful?

Took the two a really long time to start doing their little mating dance and even when they started embracing... no eggs were coming out. They were very frustrated! And finally, literally hours later, we got a LITTLE bit of eggs... And by little I mean probably only about 6 embraces gave out eggs and there were maybe 5 eggs each of those times... and the female ate a few so that’s fun. 🙄
Ky was able to get some in his nest (which looks amazing btw and so much better than his first try)

I removed them as soon as they were finished, carefully removed more than half of the water in the tank and added in methylene blue.

You can’t really see any eggs in the picture cause there really isn’t a lot but here’s this bubble nest + the blue.

Really hoping we will get some babies this time 🤞🏻

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
15 days old and they're starting to look like actual fish!
I saw at least 3 while I was cleaning the tank the other day :)

1601076381251.png

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I set up another breeding tank in hopes of getting some more fry. At first it seemed to be going well and they were both flaring at each other. I left them overnight and the female seemingly became uninterested. She was hiding and they seemed to be leaving each other alone so I decided to leave them in another night. Since they're still pretty new to breeding I thought perhaps they needed some more time.
Today still nothing, so I decided to separate them. I removed the male and put him back in his tank and just now got a good look at the female.
She is really banged up and missing a TON of her scales on her head and body. I feel so bad I let it get this far. I didn't notice anything that I thought was dangerous for her. She's swimming around and eating so I know she's okay but I still feel so bad. She looks like a mess!
I'm not sure how long I should wait before trying again or even if I should.
Any ideas? Should I keep her in the breeding tank for now? I've put a good amount of aquarium salt in there and am unsure if I should move her back to her own tank or not.

And update on the fry, they're doing really well! They're starting to chase each other around a lot so I may have to remove some a little sooner than I hoped :p

·
Registered
678 Posts
You really need a lot of preparation before putting the pair together, especially with giants. I have had bettas that instantly fall in love and dump 100s and 100s of eggs, and others that lay around, and a male that beats any female ever placed in his tank; seemingly retarded. It all depends on the individual fish.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts