Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh boy it's been a while since I've last posted!
Here are the three survivors <3 They're just over 2 months old and getting bigger every day!
The two purples have gotten a lot lighter. One's body is basically all white (I'm assuming that's the marbling!)
Haven't been able to tell genders yet as I haven't seen any egg spots... unless they're all boys :p
They're all separated into 10 gal tanks.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I see the spot as well! She is super pretty. Sometimes males will show a false egg spot until they mature more. Even had some males flash breeding bars and I was sure they were females. They ended up males haha. Parents are plakats right? If they are male their anal fins will get longer like dad. You’ll definitely be able to tell gender soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Here is the marble of the bunch! Aren’t they super funny looking? 😂 I have NO idea what they’ll end up looking like and I’m thinking I might have to keep them so I can find out... LOL
No idea on the gender. Thought I saw an egg spot but who knows!
http://instagr.am/p/CH02IRHh1FZ/

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Ah! Now the cellophane bodies are easy to tell male/female. Shine a flashlight on her from the top or behind and you can see ovaries or eggs. Here is a pic of my shorty cello girl full egged, just for reference so you can see what I mean.

and a view of a male

honestly it was hard for me to determine who was what in my spawn. I remember when I took that 1st pic, I said whoa! Those are definitely eggs! Pretty cool to see for my first time 😄

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Finally got some somewhat "professional" looking photos of the babies!
They've all changed so much. I'm going to try and edit together a before and after image sometime soon.
I'm thinking we have all females but I'm still not 100 percent sure.
Baby #1 and #2 have both marbled, and I can see perhaps some marbling on #3 as well.
Any ideas what their colours would be called? Is there a name for them?
Also they're a little chunky... ESPECIALLY baby #3, which is weird cause I feed them all the same amount. Do you guys think I should maybe give them less?

Baby #1

Baby #2

Baby #3

Just over 3 months

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Around 4 months old.
Sadly don’t think any of them are going to be big giants, but I’m still hoping maybe half giants or a random burst of growth :p They’re all around 1 1/2 inches, some a little over. It’s also pretty much confirmed we have all girls.
Their colours are still changing and I was right about the last solid gal! She has indeed turned marble! Her colours arenquite settled yet but I think she’ll turn out a little more purple than her sister who has begun to show beautiful irids. I’m not sure what any of their colours would be called, anyone willing to help out with that?
It was also super hard to get good pictures of the last one. She super feisty and doesn’t like me very much 😅

I also posted some videos on my Instagram @tarasbettas

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We've sadly lost our adult female, Lunala.
I noticed a few days ago that she wasn't out swimming around and hadn't been eating her food. Today I checked the tank and she was nowhere to be found. I know there are risks when breeding but it's always upsetting. Perhaps she was injured during the last breeding? Maybe she was egg-bound? I don't know what happened.
She was gorgeous and a real big giant. I'm glad I was able to get some babies out of her before she passed, but I am disappointed I won't be able to get any more from her.
I'm pretty sure that the mystery (apple) snail that was in her tank ate her after she died because there is no sign of her whatsoever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Another very delayed update LOL
I've decided to keep these girls and breed them in the near future <3
My current male is sick so I'm not going to be breeding him to them so I'm on the lookout for a new fella for these ladies.
What type of betta would you recommend I pair them with?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I was looking for a male avatar for these girls and i... stumbled upon some giant halfmoons and... well.... meet my new giants :oops:

Blue Butterfly HM

Candy Nemo OHM

Purchased them from the same place in Thailand where I got my first pair. They should be arriving the end of the month and I'm super excited :)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts