Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was cleaning tanks, and while cleaning the tank of the mother of my spawn i thought, with 4 of her daughters and sister-in-law living as a sorority, i would add her in to free up some space. She was in that tank once before when it was just her and the rasboras but it didn't work out. So i kept a watchful eye an watched the following go on for about an hour. No nipping, no chasing, just this long posing contest between these two. They ignored the other 4 girls.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Better watch the sisters, they are definately saying I'm better than you look out!
oh by the way Princess & Ruby went into the sorority tank on Wed. Both are doing fine. Princess is bossing around the 2 biggest girls... & Ruby is way less stressed she likes hiding in the sunken sailboat, she's the only girl that can fit in 1 spot!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Female betta fish are similar to horses and wolves- they establish a pecking order within the group. You'll end up with an alpha female, the subordinates, and an under-dog female that may or may not take the brunt of the chasing and bullying of the other females. Your girls are sizing the new addition up to see if she is a bully, or will fit in with the other females. They will flare and try to intimidate her, and if she responds in an incorrect way, chasing and nipping will break out in the tank. Keep an extremely watchful eye on them- it's often a good idea to float a new addition to a sorority in a jar or net breeder, so that they can get familiar with one another without the risk of injury.

·
Registered
156 Posts
glad they're settled! I got a new tank today :) it's been a day of dividing tanks & moving fishies to new homes. I have to take a break though, will finish tomorrow, I want to split the girls into 2 sororities :) I'm still trying to figure out who's going in each tank, so for now they're still in the original. They get along mostly fine I just want to seperate into 2 & have room for a few more :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.