Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all! So, I grew up with bettas, but I've never had this problem before. I got a betta about 3 weeks ago. He's in a 5.5 gallon tank set at 80 degrees, levels are all good, fully cycled, and he has a sponge filter, everything. His tank is decked to the nines with plants, logs, floating logs, and two betta hammocks. He eats fine and seems fine otherwise, but he is ridiculously active, constantly surfing the glass. And this morning I noticed he's taken huge bites out of his tail, too. I've read in places that it's boredom related, but I can't think of anything else I can do to alleviate this problem. He's the first and only betta I've ever had that has had both the glass surfing and tail biting behaviors. There are no lights in his tank so I'm certain he's not seeing his reflection, and when I put tall plants along his glass, he just goes behind them to continue surfing, so I'm at a loss. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I've also included a pic of his tank so you can see his setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
You could try taking out either the log or cave and putting in more silk plants and see if that helps. Betta prefer plants rather then hardscape, and the addition of more plants may help him feel less anxious and settle him down.

Give him some top cover in the form of floating plants. A lot of them like top cover they'll sleep in it, hide under it, and build nest under it.

If all else fails downgrade him to a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, some can never adjust to going from a cup to a large open tank and do better in a smaller tank. I know people say the bigger the better, give them most space, but some betta just never got the memo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try taking out either the log or cave and putting in more silk plants and see if that helps. Betta prefer plants rather then hardscape, and the addition of more plants may help him feel less anxious and settle him down.

Give him some top cover in the form of floating plants. A lot of them like top cover they'll sleep in it, hide under it, and build nest under it.

If all else fails downgrade him to a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank, some can never adjust to going from a cup to a large open tank and do better in a smaller tank. I know people say the bigger the better, give them most space, but some betta just never got the memo.
Good suggestions! I'll go ahead and try taking the rock cave out and leaving the log (I want it to look as natural as possible for my boy), and if he keeps up the behavior, I'll shrink down his tank and see if that helps, too. I'm seriously just stunned! I've never had this problem before with a betta. I thought I was lucky reading people's past experiences before, but now that it's happening with me, I'm like, WHAT?! lol! Thanks, Rainbo, I'll try those things and see if that doesn't help. If anyone has further suggestions, I'm open to them! I want my boy happy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you used Stress Guard? That really helped my old betta's tail biting situation. That and more silk plants, like suggested in the other post!

·
Registered
34 Posts
How is your guy doing, littleghostbetta? My betta has been a bit of a glass surfer since I got him a few months ago, but the behavior has escalated and he started fin biting within the last couple weeks. I haven't changed anything in the tank, so not sure what triggered it. I've tried a few things (moving things around to fight boredom, adding more plants, etc.), but nothing seems to be helping. Were you able to curb your betta's behavior?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts