Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I currently have 5 tanks, 4 glass and 1 acrylic. 3/4 of the bettas in the glass tanks glass surf to a greater or lesser degree. 1 doesn't glass surf at all.

We've had two different bettas in the acrylic tank. One never glass surfed, and the newest has not yet. But we've had him less than 24 hours.

Has anyone else noticed something like this with their tanks? I'm curious if perhaps acrylic is less reflective than glass, which would make the betta less likely to glass surf. Thoughts?

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Glass surfing has nothing to do with reflectivity. It's just a nervous habit, a way to relieve stress. Surfing is more an individual Betta thing, having nothing to do with the tank material.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glass surfing has nothing to do with reflectivity. It's just a nervous habit, a way to relieve stress. Surfing is more an individual Betta thing, having nothing to do with the tank material.
I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY disagree re: glass has nothing to do w/the surfing!!!!!!!
My background is medical communications so I research the b'geezus outta all I do...very much including my PASSION for my betta [& all who came before], to the tune of 40+ hours! I currently teach Montessori & they seem to believe that having a fish [usually a betta] in the room w/lil' monsters tapping the glass, loud noises, running into supportive furniture etc...is a good idea since it was 1st tossed out there in the early 1900's [Maria Montessori] BEFORE [I have to believe] the total awareness of how miserable these bettas can be in these environments-thus the rogue rescue of MANY fish [whew].
Now, back to glass surfing. I have owned every shape & make of aquarium made/suggested for bettas & to be perfectly honest, I have personally experienced my fish have been most happy in a 3.5 acrylic 'half-moon' tank [Top Fin @ Petsmart]. I was attempting to be a responsible betta owner & size up Magellan's tank to what is considered 'high-end'/ highly rated 5 gallon/glass 'Top Fin© Retreat Aquarium'. After spending the TIME & EFFORT to safely move my fish to this tank...he was MISERABLE re: glass surfing. As a result, I spent MORE CHUNKS O' TIME researching/trying every possible 'lighting modification' so my precious one would stop battling his new-found/never-ending reflection, to no avail & VERY DIFFICULT TO WATCH. Just as soon as I moved my guy back to his 3.5 gallon half moon-shaped acrylic tank w/zero 'seams', he settled down immediately. Please note that I read every possible article/forum I could find [which is a plethora!] re: safe acclimation, stress relief, lighting, size/shape/optimal environment, etc...
NOW, I am having a challenging time finding what is considered a 'high quality' 5 gallon tank for Magellan because the bulk of what I have been reading offers either 1. glass, or 2. acrylic tanks [rated lower than glass due to the materials & considered 'starter' aquariums].
Soooooooo, if anyone has positive feedback re: their chosen brand of 5 gallon tank...PLEASE share! Specifically, I am also looking @ a 6.5 gallon tank/Fluval Flex...but it is glass/seams.
In closing, call me 'obsessive' BUT, I have observed that my betta really 'ENJOYS' the curved/SEAMLESS shape/view when he is swimming around...just want it to be wider/more horizontal for optimum swimming.
This site is a new find for me & I shall explore feedback/suggestions re: BEST 5 gallon HOME for my betta!
Peace out!
mo' betta Betta©
Fiffi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.