Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glass surfing has nothing to do with reflectivity. It's just a nervous habit, a way to relieve stress. Surfing is more an individual Betta thing, having nothing to do with the tank material.
I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY disagree re: glass has nothing to do w/the surfing!!!!!!!
My background is medical communications so I research the b'geezus outta all I do...very much including my PASSION for my betta [& all who came before], to the tune of 40+ hours! I currently teach Montessori & they seem to believe that having a fish [usually a betta] in the room w/lil' monsters tapping the glass, loud noises, running into supportive furniture etc...is a good idea since it was 1st tossed out there in the early 1900's [Maria Montessori] BEFORE [I have to believe] the total awareness of how miserable these bettas can be in these environments-thus the rogue rescue of MANY fish [whew].
Now, back to glass surfing. I have owned every shape & make of aquarium made/suggested for bettas & to be perfectly honest, I have personally experienced my fish have been most happy in a 3.5 acrylic 'half-moon' tank [Top Fin @ Petsmart]. I was attempting to be a responsible betta owner & size up Magellan's tank to what is considered 'high-end'/ highly rated 5 gallon/glass 'Top Fin© Retreat Aquarium'. After spending the TIME & EFFORT to safely move my fish to this tank...he was MISERABLE re: glass surfing. As a result, I spent MORE CHUNKS O' TIME researching/trying every possible 'lighting modification' so my precious one would stop battling his new-found/never-ending reflection, to no avail & VERY DIFFICULT TO WATCH. Just as soon as I moved my guy back to his 3.5 gallon half moon-shaped acrylic tank w/zero 'seams', he settled down immediately. Please note that I read every possible article/forum I could find [which is a plethora!] re: safe acclimation, stress relief, lighting, size/shape/optimal environment, etc...
NOW, I am having a challenging time finding what is considered a 'high quality' 5 gallon tank for Magellan because the bulk of what I have been reading offers either 1. glass, or 2. acrylic tanks [rated lower than glass due to the materials & considered 'starter' aquariums].
Soooooooo, if anyone has positive feedback re: their chosen brand of 5 gallon tank...PLEASE share! Specifically, I am also looking @ a 6.5 gallon tank/Fluval Flex...but it is glass/seams.
In closing, call me 'obsessive' BUT, I have observed that my betta really 'ENJOYS' the curved/SEAMLESS shape/view when he is swimming around...just want it to be wider/more horizontal for optimum swimming.
This site is a new find for me & I shall explore feedback/suggestions re: BEST 5 gallon HOME for my betta!
Peace out!
mo' betta Betta©
Fiffi

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.