Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
222 Posts
@ARLETA howdy
fellow NYer here - I know that Petco in Union Square but haven't been there in ages.

The one by me (West 98th st) does the same thing selling those tiny contraptions to keep multiple betta.

Every time I'm there I've pointed out to them that they could make a lot more money by educating the customers and then selling them larger tanks, aquarium supplies, plants etc.

Always falls on deaf ears but I try to do my little part in making the world a teeny tiny bit better by talking with people who I see buying multiple betta and those tiny tanks. Somehow they always end up doing the right thing and upgrading, which prooves to me that if the store employees cared, that a lot of time customers will do the right thing.

Across the street from that Petco is Petqua - a small hole in the wall independently owned fish store that only ever has about 10 betta at a time (in vases) and doesn't stock those tiny tanks. I just found out they sell three types of live food including black worms. I just happened to ask and was surprised they carry live food bcs it's such a small operation.

Is there a LFS like this in the Union Square area?

I'm happily surprised that Petqua manages to stay in business with Petco right across the street.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can attest that in Canada, all major pet stores, and most small LFS stock bettas in tiny cups and jars. I remember going into an LFS and being appalled to find a betta rotting in a tiny glass jar, literally half of his body was rotten off-even though I didn't have the space at the time I went to buy him, expecting to get him for free since, you know, he was pretty much DEAD in less than maybe 3 inches of water that was brown...nope, the lady made me pay full price (like 20$, way more than bettas are usually sold at franchise pet chains) even though I pointed out like, um, he was dead, and she was the owner of the shop too...not some inefficient employee. She said he was just "sleeping". Nevertheless I bought the fish and he died within 10 hours despite me and my friends best attempts at care. LFS can be just a complacent in abuse, and the issue is there is no "higher office" or PR to appeal to like there is with giant corporations like Petco..I had never even seen a betta displayed in a large/community tank until I came to UK (exempting Big Al's, but those were mostly sororities, they still keep most of their bettas in glass jars).

To comment on the healthcare system...in Canada healthcare is free but you have to have a health card to prove you are a Canadian citizen, otherwise you will be charged...most drugs are free as well if you are under 25, but they have recently started limiting that...Here in the UK all healthcare seems to be pretty free no questions asked, you just have to "sign up" at a doctor's office, I can't remember if I even had to show my visa residency permit...I also know that they have very accessible sexual health clinics where again you can go no questions asked and get prescriptions for contraception and such...birth control pills (and all drugs) are completely free in Wales. For that, very efficient. But then again, they also ID people for buying BBQ lighters and Advil so...some things good some things obviously a bit backwards...
Again, also lamenting how small the fish industry seems to be here, at least in South Wales where I live. I got a 20 gallon tank and still sitting empty, its difficult to source sand let alone plants ect. the same way it is in North America. Took me three weeks to even find Sisyphus because I had to keep waiting for the one LFS to get a betta shipment in.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My favorite fish store stocks their bettas in heated, filtered betta barracks! Woo! I love that store, they also sell bettas really close to the ubc standard for $30+ and those fish look worth the cash, unlike petco and their expensive pet fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@ARLETA howdy
fellow NYer here - I know that Petco in Union Square but haven't been there in ages.

The one by me (West 98th st) does the same thing selling those tiny contraptions to keep multiple betta.

Every time I'm there I've pointed out to them that they could make a lot more money by educating the customers and then selling them larger tanks, aquarium supplies, plants etc.

Always falls on deaf ears but I try to do my little part in making the world a teeny tiny bit better by talking with people who I see buying multiple betta and those tiny tanks. Somehow they always end up doing the right thing and upgrading, which prooves to me that if the store employees cared, that a lot of time customers will do the right thing.

Across the street from that Petco is Petqua - a small hole in the wall independently owned fish store that only ever has about 10 betta at a time (in vases) and doesn't stock those tiny tanks. I just found out they sell three types of live food including black worms. I just happened to ask and was surprised they carry live food bcs it's such a small operation.

Is there a LFS like this in the Union Square area?

I'm happily surprised that Petqua manages to stay in business with Petco right across the street.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Hi ,
I am not really familiar with Union Square neighborhood. I always pas by this Petco on my way from work. Not sure if there is LFS nearby. I was there yesterday. Lots of bettas were sold over the weekend and again I saw kids buying bettas and small containers 😔. They don't have in offer glow betta yet.

·
Registered
661 Posts

I must say the 3g tanks are better then what I had in mind, they are a decent size compared to the small 1g tanks I’ve seen other companies market.

Here’s an electric green in store lighting. It bothers me that their pupils light back their color, but again that because it’s not a true pigment, but instead because the gene for their color is in the tissue and eyes, not just the skin. I wonder if they see color properly or if everything is shaded green.

·
Registered
604 Posts
When I picked up my new fish Moloka’i at Petco, all the Bettas were in amazing shape. But the glo-fish Bettas were just sitting in there cups inactive. They are kind of cool but I wonder if the Bettas aren’t happy. Does anyone own one?

·
Registered
661 Posts
When I picked up my new fish Moloka’i at Petco, all the Bettas were in amazing shape. But the glo-fish Bettas were just sitting in there cups inactive. They are kind of cool but I wonder if the Bettas aren’t happy. Does anyone own one?
If they come out with a pink or purple one I’ll buy so I can monitor their lifelong health. But I’m not a fan of green.
I’d say any fish in a cup is unhappy though, little space and no clean water is a recipe for unhappiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi, I havent check the topic for longer time now...So I've noticed the same thing. Bettas at Petco look really good and healthy. But glow bettas seems to be inactive and they are really tiny!
In New York just before quarantine Petco was selling all fish for half price. Few of glow females were dying in cups, lying on the bottom. There was one premium male that was fairly active. I decided to give him a chance. My 29 gallon tank is his home now. I have him for 10 days now. And he is recovering nicely.

He is a Delta Tail, he grew little bit in my aquarium. I house him with Honey Gouramis and Bolivian Rams and Panda Cory's. He chase Gouramis little bit, but nothing alarming. I don't care about him glowing, I just wanted to save him from death in a cup. He doesn't have problems with vision. I read that's often a case with glow bettas. Often they are half of fully blind. I was lucky so far.
Beside that he is like a normal betta. He is patroling tank, likes the caves and plants. He is flaring at me when I approach the tank. He seems to have a time of his life.
I can't predict his life span. But I will inform u if something will happen.
This is him when I did purchase him
10 days ago
IMG_20200318_060739_529.jpg

And this picture I took today, just after feeding the tank
15851345541582777898651970686881.jpg

Like u see he is really young and I hope.he has long life ahead of him. His name is Comet!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm glad he has no vision problems, his fins look healthy too. I'm glad he's doing fine but I myself could never really get over the sickly colored green body.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm glad he has no vision problems, his fins look healthy too. I'm glad he's doing fine but I myself could never really get over the sickly colored green body.
It's not the most beautiful betta that I've seen so far. But I wanted to give him a chance and so far he is fitting good into my community tank. I have blue light in my LED stripe so in the evening he glows little bit. I gues this is all deal about those guys.

They are rather expensive for bettas and buying all equipment it's expensive to. I have a feeling that lots of them will die in a cups. Specially now in the time of a crisis.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do feel bad for all the bettas who will be sitting in cups during lockdowns, it's too bad they don't have a plan on where to keep them during a crisis.
Believe it or not, every one of our LFS here sold out of bettas. The only ones left at PetSmart the other day were 2 lonely female glo-bettas. Every variety of male was gone, as were the other females. PetSense only had 3 total... a CT male, a PK female & a HM female. I called Petco & they had none at all, so I’m pretty sure they all found homes during the crisis.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here too! We can't find a single betta in the state! EVERYTHING IS SOLD OUT! I take that back! I have been trying to get my hands on a female betta for weeks now, NOBODY has them!

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Ya, same I recently got a new tank and want a female betta to go in it, but I cant. When I went to my petstore to look there were no fish AT ALL the employees wouldn't tell me where they all went so I can only hope they are in good hands.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts