Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share Goblin and his habitat, with the Bettafish.com community. I have had Goblin for nearly 1 year, and he is doing great!

The bowl is something else - I saw it at Ross Dress for less. It is 16" in diameter, and I keep it about 60% full, which is approx. 4 gallons.

There are various plants in the tank, I have tried a few but the successful ones which you see, are Brazilian sword, grass, and Anubis. There is also a freshwater branch and a giant marimo moss ball.

Also, I can't say enough good things about the double-decker granite rock caves (penplax).

There is a colony of snails in the tank - they help eat away decaying matter and excess soil. I sometimes take a few minutes to remove some of the snails by hand - I don't want it to get too crowded in there, as too many snails can do damage. I am curious to know if Goblin eats the baby snails, but I've never actually witnessed it.

The water is filtered using a $3 sponge filter, which I clean when I do water changes. I have the heat on 82 deg via self-regulating thermometer.

Goblin eats basic betta pellets, and sometimes dried bloodworms. I never give him fresh food, because I've heard its easy to spread disease that way.

Lately, I have been teaching Goblin to jump for his food! he definitely knows when I am around the tank and tapping pellets into the feeding spoon (I use a spoon to make sure I don't accidentally dump too much food in). So I have been hovering my hand over the bowl, and then waiting for him to jump, before pouring the food. I think he's getting the hang of it.

Lastly, a recent scientific study found that fish might be smarter than we originally thought, and that they may even have facial recognition!! This would explain my theory that Goblin actually gets excited to see me, and actually enjoys the company of people. I think he is highly intelligent, for a fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Why is this in Contests?...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Are you sure that's 4 gallons? It only looks like 2, maybe 2.5. You should measure with a gallon jug.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
@Romad, is this the right section?

That is a nice looking tank, though. BiOrb?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I didn't notice or I would have moved. However, if you believe a thread is in the wrong section please report so we can move it. There are only two active Mods at the moment and we cannot read every BF and TFK thread.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Are you sure that's 4 gallons? It only looks like 2, maybe 2.5. You should measure with a gallon jug.
It could be bigger than the picture depicts, sometimes things look smaller in a picture, especially when taken from a certain distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts