Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
OK, after going to Petco today and checking out the $1 a gallon tank sale, we decided that the 10 gallon was a better size and affordable. This will be for a Male Betta. I'm debating between the Tetra Deluxe LED 10 gallon kit, which comes with a heater and the Whisper Power Filter 10 OR just buying the 10 gallon Tetra tank and buying my own components. I'm pretty set on the heater, but the filter choices are what I'm debating. I've had some great suggestions the past few days on filters when I was going with the 5 gallon, but I think the 10 gallon may change those choices…

Any thoughts on the Whisper Power Filter 10 and any other suggestions for filters for a 10 gallon?

Thanks
Yestergirl

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I honestly just use Walmart hang on back filters that are rated for 10-15gals, and cut a piece of the filter foam inside, and use a rubber band to secure it to the out flow, to calm the flow, its a whopping 12$ investment (if its possible to put something on the intake then thats good to, especially if your betta has heavy fins)

I also like sponge filters, although I cant have them in the tanks in my room because I might go insane from the pump being on 24/7, but If it was in your den or living room or something, then there great, esp for betta

what were you planning to stock it with down the road?..just the betta..or?

·
Registered
820 Posts
i have the whisper in tank filter for a 20 gal in a 10 gal (i went with a bigger filter so if i decide to get a bigger tank i won't need to buy another filter and the filter was originally in a larger tank) its a great filter, very quiet, works well but its very strong. i had to create a crazy baffle to make it ok for my betta. the filter plus the large baffle i had to create ends up taking up a bit of space in the tank which i kind of don't like because i'd rather take up that space with plants or decor but i kinda like it because my betta loves hiding behind it. but for my next filter i'd definitely go with a HOB filter just to make the tank more roomy.

if that doesn't bother you then you should get the whisper because it works great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kjg1029!
I may be making all this more complicated than it should be. Sounds like a great alternative. The Tetra "kit" that is the option we're thinking about comes with a hang on back filter, but on youtube someone was reviewing it and it looked like the flow was too strong. You're trick with securing a piece of the filter foam might just do the trick with that, or if we buy separate components, that's good to know.

As far as stocking it down the road, along with some live plants, we were thinking of a couple of fish that might get along with the male beta and maybe a snail. My hubby is thinking of maybe a sorority "way" down the line :). with a bigger tank.

Yestergirl

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Charliegill110!
Yes, I've been looking at one of those "in tank" filters. Someone suggested it and I was thinking that the flow would be "softer", but if you had to make a baffle, I guess my impression was a little off. And it's funny how many people say their Betta likes their baffle.

Like I was telling KJg1029, the Tetra "kit" I was looking at,(the 10 gallon everything kit is on sale this week at 50% off, which means $35 for tank, filter, thermometer, heater, LED lighted hood) has a HOB filter, but the flow looked too strong when I saw it on a youtube review. I guess it just comes down to being a little innovative and adjust the flow ourselves.

Yestergirl

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks Charliegill110!
Yes, I've been looking at one of those "in tank" filters. Someone suggested it and I was thinking that the flow would be "softer", but if you had to make a baffle, I guess my impression was a little off. And it's funny how many people say their Betta likes their baffle.

Like I was telling KJg1029, the Tetra "kit" I was looking at,(the 10 gallon everything kit is on sale this week at 50% off, which means $35 for tank, filter, thermometer, heater, LED lighted hood) has a HOB filter, but the flow looked too strong when I saw it on a youtube review. I guess it just comes down to being a little innovative and adjust the flow ourselves.

Yestergirl
well since i have a 20i in a 10 gal its possible that its only that strong because its too large a filter in the tank. perhaps a 10i would be fine in a 10 gal. i would just get which one is a better deal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts