Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I'm new to the Betta community! I know the basics and I just got my first Betta for my 18th birthday about 2-3 weeks ago.

1662692_650131938388434_6144415972922183264_n.jpg

As you can see he is a tad beat up,but that's because the pet store I got him from had him in a tank with little fin nippers :-(. But otherwise he is active and eats well.

Anyway, I will be going to Mechacon in New Orleans this Friday and won't be back 'till Sunday afternoon. My father wont listen to me on betta rules and care and treats him like a simple fish,my mother is the same way.
Now I know they can go a while without eating;So I plan on feeding him twice Thursday(plus a bloodworm) and once before I leave Friday. That should hold him off 'till I return.
However my concern is this: he is in a 3 gallon 360 aquarium and the filter (shown in the picture) produces a huge wall of micro bubbles that cover the top of the water. Sometimes they pop creating an opening for the fish to go up for air;but most of the time its just a thick wall of bubbles that I have to get rid of with my finger. I asked my sister to go in my room and pop them every now and then and not to leave until you see him get air.She agreed to;but I don't think she'll stay 'till he breaths.
Do you think he will be okay until I get home?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He can breathe through the bubbles, that's not an issue. Also tell her not to feed him while you're gone; best that he doesn't eat and create too much ammonia while your gone but yeah, he'll be just fine!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, we are leaving for four days tomorrow and I am worried about Owen. I changed 50% of his water tonight and we will feed him before we leave and then when we get back on Monday so he'll only go three whole days without food. But I worry he will miss us. My son and daughter are always hanging around the tank with him. I worry he'll be lonely. I noticed such great regrowth of his tail from his biting.shredding a few weeks ago and I'm worried we will lose all that progress is he gets stressed.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Fish can last months without food so it's actually better to not feed them while you're gone as I mentioned, that way they don't poop as often and foul the water before you can change it, you know? But it's actually decently healthy for their systems to skip a day or a few days here an there. I generally fast twice in a week since it's not completely normal for them to get food every single day, it gives them a little break :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts