Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Goldy when I was keeping my original green sunfish. I bought feeders all the time for the green guy, but something about this little fish saved him. He grew alongside "fish" and they followed each other around the 35g tank all day, he wasn't very big maybe a couple of inches.

Goldy way outlived fish, but they had a great 2 years together before age took his buddy. This stubborn fish survived FOUR moves, resulting in hour long road trips over 8 years, a horrible city water situation ( nasty toxic amounts of chloramine in the water leading to constant ammonia problems), being attacked by a leech, power outages, living in a bucket , and alot of mistakes in my part. Honestly this fish had been through everything with me, from graduation, may first job, my daughter's birth, and my grandfather passing away. I would sit and watch him for hours and always marvled at how HUGE he had gotten. Not counting his tail he was 9 inches long

A little more than a week ago he suddenly swelled up, just out of nowhere. I tried EVERYTHING I tripled antibiotics and clean water I tried every medicine I have and he just got worse... Today I looked him over and every scale on his body was standing up, he had a very grey belly, and was bleeding internally... So I humanely euthanized one of my oldest friends, ending what had to be a terrible amount of pain and suffering. Needless to say I'm incredibly sad and trying very hard not to cry. I loved that fish... Swim in peace my giant friend ...

Goldy is the one behind my ryukin, Ecco, in the picture, the white line down his side is a scar from the leech

Attachments

Reactions: KaderTheAnt

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the bad picture I can't find the ones I actually took of him

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
I am so sorry for Goldy's death.

I don't think most people understand how attached one can become to fish one has had so long...because most don't *have* fish that live eight years. When my "Oscar the Oscar" died at 8-10 I was devastated.

I'm sure if there's a fishy Heaven that Goldy and "fish" are having a grand reunion. :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope fish and Goldy find each other in the big pond in the sky, he had another friend too called fancy, fancy was my first fantail and Goldy's second buddy. I'm pretty sure Ecco has adopted the little ryukin babies in the 50 since Goldy had been in treatment. Ecco Goldy and grumpy, my bullhead, have been together for about 4-5 years now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sometimes those feeder fish live a long time I had one I named Freddy that lived for 6 years I got him when I was 4 and he died when I was ten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts