Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of my friends had asked me if this tank was good for bettas and now i wonder that myself. so i bought it x'D well 3.

~Review~
I'll only go off if you get one. first off 6 bucks? dang, it's a good price. first hour fish love it. I put no rocks for easy clean, a little turtle and a leaf betta bed. my females love it, also my males love there's it does come with a divider and it seemed like a good size for two males just don't put too many plants if you put the divider in, I love the stand. it also comes with a small packet with food (though I still recommend getting food) and a small packet of betta water conditioner. <3

link to tank:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-BettaView-Aquarium-.5-Gallon-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/17248150

·
Registered
49 Posts
The tank you have linked to is half a gallon. Please tell me you haven't got 2 bettas in this tank!!! Actually you shouldn't be keeping any fish in it.

I'm going to start by explaining why this tank is so bad:

1) Betta fish's natural habitat is in rice paddies. Don't be fooled by the fact this water is shallow, rice paddies are vast, meaning the wild fish have plenty of space to swim around. And swim they do. They are very fast, active fish, and as such need LOTS of tank space to live in. Spend any time looking around this or any other fishkeeping forum, and you will soon find that the MINIMUM size tank recommended for a single betta is 2.5 US gallons. A lot of people wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 5 gallon.

2) Bettas are tropical fish. They NEED the water temperature to be stable at around 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit. This is very difficult to achieve in an unheated tank, especially one so small.

3) Animals produce bodily waste. By its very nature, this waste is harmful to the fish. In a tank this small, the levels of dangerous chemicals will build up VERY quickly. With no filter, there is no way for this tank to help itself keep clean. This means you need to be doing 50% water changes every day, no exceptions. This is obviously a lot of work for you, and stressful for your fish. A bigger, filtered, cycled tank would save you a lot of time and worry, as it wouldn't need this level of maintenance.

4) I mentioned that wild bettas live in rice paddies. This means there is a lot of plants in the water, providing a plethora of hiding and resting places. You need to be able to provide this for pet fish too. This is a good example of how full a tank should be:
You can hardly see the back of the tank, and that is a good thing!

Now, I know we aren't all made of money, but if you could get a better tank for your fish, that would be really good. On this thread I helped another new member put together a shopping list. Obviously you don't have to get the same things, but I think it is a good jumping off point. Also, it is Christmas soon, so maybe you could ask 'Santa' for some fish bits. Just a thought.

·
Registered
366 Posts
No, that tank is definitely not suitable for a betta, let alone two.

From the description: "Generous .5 Gallon Capacity". Half a gallon is generous!? No. No, no, no.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I See Both Of Your Posts But All My Bettas Are Loving Their Tanks No fighting has been going on in my betta tanks and i have just 100% changed the water and i 100% water changes every other day for the safety of my fish.

Photos of the tanks just taken a few moments before posting this reply:

My Two Females In Their 1/2 Gallon:

My Male Toothpaste In His 1/2 Gallon: (Also Yes I Put The Rocks A Little High On One Side But He Likes It He Lays Up There Like A Betta Bed

My Male Devil In His 1/2 Gallon: (Same With Toothpaste he uses the higher rocks as a bed

My Male Beethoven In His *1/2 Gallon??* Bowl: (Just for this week next week im getting more of those 1/2 gal's from Walmart

All the tanks:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Despite them "liking" their tank, I can assure you this is not healthy for them. All of the other posts have explained it well but this isn't an adequate tank. You can get a cheap 2.5 gallon that would be a lot better for your fish if money is the issue.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Those tanks are a lot less than 1/2 gallon given that you've filled half the space with rocks. Less water = faster build-up of toxins.

At the very least, put some kind of screen or something over the bowl so the fish can't jump out. Because he will.

At $6 each tank (and you say you're going to get another one), plus gravel, plus 5 fish... for about the same price you could have purchased 2 or 3 fish, bought and divided a plain 10-gallon, bought a few fake plants and a small adjustable heater, and created a safe and healthy environment for those 2 or 3 fish.

You are not going to find many enthusiastic supporters for your set-up here.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Wait wait wait.. You have two females in a half gallon together? I'm surprised no one has reacted to this yet. If all you want is half gallons, and you don't agree with us, at least get another one for one of the females. Females cannot be kept together in anything less than a heavily planted 10 gallon, and even then you need at least three females to spread out aggression. Females can be just as aggressive as males.

Half a gallon of water is not enough for a Betta. With a tank that small, you'd have to be changing half of their water daily. There is no swimming space in half a gallon.

In my opinion, this is how a Betta tank should look, this is my planted 5g.
Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Nature Aquarium Aquarium lighting

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wait wait wait.. You have two females in a half gallon together? I'm surprised no one has reacted to this yet. If all you want is half gallons, and you don't agree with us, at least get another one for one of the females. Females cannot be kept together in anything less than a heavily planted 10 gallon, and even then you need at least three females to spread out aggression. Females can be just as aggressive as males.

Half a gallon of water is not enough for a Betta. With a tank that small, you'd have to be changing half of their water daily. There is no swimming space in half a gallon.

In my opinion, this is how a Betta tank should look, this is my planted 5g.
View attachment 847585
Check out OP's new thread here, detailing their plans for tank upgrades, and the plans are great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts