Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a betta in a 2.5 gal and im moving him to to a 15 gal, and i just got a 20%off coupon for fish at petco! i am buying the tank and using the coupon on the 15th, i will have to put the fish in my community tank (6 tetras 3 female bettas) till its cycled too. my betta is not super agressive, but not super docile. i want to give him some fish to keep him intrested cuz he is a fin nipper, but i dont HAVE to get fihs :/ i was thinking glow lite tetras?

New fish keeper here, so easy fish plz? I'm very good with fish in keeping my water params and everything clean, I just more cant afford those hard fish. sp plz easy fish ideas/ and NO plecos they get huge!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
What are your readings in water parameters concerning hardness and PH
what is your substrate

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yeah we need to know what's your water like, tetras don't do good in a certain water type, if they are put in that water type, they will not be as healthy.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just boring old gravl hardnedd is moderately hard, not extreme and ph is like 6.8, 6.6 but i add ph up to my tapwater so its like 6.8 7.2

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Since the tank PH is latively low I would recommend amazon based, soft water fish such as cardinal tetras.

1 male Betta
10 cardinal tetras

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yup, as long as your tank is cycled, has no ammonia/nitrites, and has a reading of nitrates around 10 ppm maximum, they should do fairly well

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Any amount of ammonia is unacceptable in my opinion unless it is very reasonable at like in one case .0007. As Long as you are getting a reading of ammonia in an API test kit I would do water hanges and up your weekly water changing schedule. With your tank it will be a bit understocked so if it's cycled, there is a small probability if there being any ammonia reading with regular water changes

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zebra fish (Danio) i found they do well with bettas, They are very fast so the betta can chase them as much as he wants and none will get hurt. They are also quite hardy little fish. some people say they can nip fins on other fish but i have never had a problem with that in the many years i have owned danios. (any fish can nip fins) (Just keep them fed) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Zebra danios a fairly active and shouldn't be placed with bettas due to there activity, they also are sub tropical fish and there optimal temperature range is slightly lower than the bettas prefered minimum temperature

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zebra danios a fairly active and shouldn't be placed with bettas due to there activity, they also are sub tropical fish and there optimal temperature range is slightly lower than the bettas prefered minimum temperature
eehh forgot about the temp.
You could try some platys or some swordtails i found male swordtailes are not the best because of sometimes the betta nipping the males tail.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yup. They can become very nippy because of there long fins, and color, I wouldn't recommend them either. Platies would be a great choic enough!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made my decision! acrdinal tetras O_O i am ready!

should I buy them today and put them in my community tank untill thier tank is cycled or buy them later?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If your community tank has compatible fish, and can handle the bio load. Then I would get them today to let them settle in

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
White cloud mountain minnows also are subtropical and have different temperature requirements

1 - 20 of 20 Posts