Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Pretty new to fish in general, so after some advice on how to help heal up this sick fish :) Hoping I got good enough pics, he is thankfully feeling good enough currently to move constantly as soon as my phone comes up with the camera open.

I work at a chain pet supply store, and when stocking a new delivery of bettas into their horrible little cups, came across a dragonscale male with a gnarly looking lump along his back. It looked vaguely like a moldy breast, I wish now I had gotten a picture of it from day 1.

Being a sucker for the sick/injured ones, I talked my boss into letting me take him home to try to give him the best shot. He wasn’t looking so hot initially, wasn’t eating, generally lethargic, but has since perked up. Eats well, moves well, otherwise seems nonplussed by the large wound on his back, so hoping the prognosis is good.

His name is Tittens McMittens, or Mr. Tata. I feel like I should change his name now that his ‘breast’ has dissolved into a crater 🤨 any name suggestions would be also very welcome lol

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1 gal, dinky little plastic hospital tank
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Currently at 80f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Just himself and a fern

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? None
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, typically 3-5 pellets each time depending on how reactive he is to them

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? At the store, weekly. But from the supplier, I have no idea
What percentage of water did you change? 100% daily here with me
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? No substrate to vac
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Aquarium salt & imagitarium brand water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

I’d have to check tomorrow, out of strips for ph/hardness/etc & already done his water change for today so everything else is at 0 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: n/a
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He arrived about 3 days ago, ulcer had not fully ‘erupted’ so to say
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Lump along his back was primarily dark red/purplish with bright white pit in the center. The white pit has since grown to the edge of where the dark red/purplish lump was.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating? Initially very lethargic, no interest in food, would hover pitifully by the heater. Has since improved behaviorally, starting to have a personality and is eating well
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Only with aquarium salt so far
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? That is the only history he has had with me so far, unfortunately :(
How long have you owned your Betta? Today would be day 4
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
Is the area fuzzy?

Until someone comes on who can better help, I'd suggest adding Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial and antifungal properties.

That he's eating and active are good signs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the area fuzzy?

Until someone comes on who can better help, I'd suggest adding Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial and antifungal properties.

That he's eating and active are good signs.
No fuzzy bits that I can see, but I’ll definitely keep an eye out for if they do appear.

In lieu of the leaves (my store is the only chain pet store in town, and I know for a fact we don’t have any in stock), would bottled extract be an okay substitute?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts