Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm still sort of new to the betta hobby. My betta is all settled in his 5g tank and I was thinking about possibly getting him some mates or a mate. I was thinking of shrimp or a snail, but I heard some different stories.
What do you guys think would be a good tank mate for a 5g tank?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Can you post a photo of the tank? How long have you had your boy? For shrimp the aquarium needs to be at least two months past a finished cycle and to be heavily planted.

You could try a Mystery Snail or a couple of Assassin Snails but other than that there are few fish that will work in a five gallon with a Betta. There are some small Nano fish but they need, like the shrimp, heavy planting. They also need to be in shoals of at least six. The best are Dario Dario but they require live food to be at their best.

Once we see a photo of your tank it will be easier to make suggestions.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the quick reply :smile2:.

This is an somewhat older picture. There are some more hiding places, but I'm currently not near the tank to make another picture.

I'm not really looking for fish. I'm actually even leaning toward snails; they are somewhat endearing. Would a snail or two be possible and which one is best?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you comitted to your five gallon tank? There are some great combinations in the 20-30 gallon range, and those size tanks dont have huge footprints.

As mentioned before, if you plant your tank, the best option would be red cherry shrimp. Without plant cover, they are just live betta food. With cover, they breed like crazy. Even if they become occasional snacks, chances are the population wont dive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I realize it's an old photo but you need a lot more planting; at least 10x what you have. Betta are dim light, shade-loving fish. Too much brightness of light...not the length of time their on...can cause stress which leads to fin biting. I'd add a couple of Anubias or Java Fern and three bunches+ of stem plants. If you get Hornwort you can float to give him shade as Hornwort don't produce roots and will rot if planted.

BTW, you glue or tie the Anubias and Java Ferns to his rocks/hides.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much!

I actually ordered a piece of wood so I can take out the stone and attach plants to it much easier. I have also ordered some plants along with it. Just 2, but I'm planning on doing it bit by bit. I'm still learning so I don't want to overdo it.

While you are here, my Betta likes to rest on the filter, meaning I should probably get something special for him to rest on near the top of the tank 'cause I heard they like that and need it. I'm not comfortable with him on the filter (he has gone behind it and I had to free him). Do you have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I have stem plant bunches that I either free-float or anchor in a corner. As they grow they spread over the surface and give Betta a place to rest.

If you're looking for floating plants I can recommend member KitKat67. I've bought Dwarf Water Lettuce and Frogbit from her. Duckweed is good but you have to watch Nitrates. From experience I can tell you it gets out of control if your Nitrates are allowed to rise; Nitrates are like super-fertilizer for Duckweed. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts