Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've been looking around but can't seem to find a direct answer - so I though I'd ask the community. Is there a difference between the bubbles in a Betta's tank? More specifically, is there "good" and "bad" bubbles that can be produced? From my understand a Betta will blow bubbles if they're happy in their homes. I picked up two new Betta's, one male and one female, and since I've housed them they've both had bubbles appearing in their tank. They're not quite bubble nests, though, hence to why I ask this question.

Here's some pictures of the tank and the bubbles in question:
[Tank] - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t6xr5mcqp96xyh/2014-05-06 18.05.04.jpg
[Female Division w/ Heater] - https://www.dropbox.com/s/atqy2jl5lh7meh4/2014-05-06 18.05.18.jpg
[Male Division] - https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2xbq1rend350lf/2014-05-06 18.05.31.jpg

I'm wondering if these bubbles are neutral, good or bad perhaps. To clarify, I put them in their new homes on Sunday and did a 50% water change just yesterday (1 day after - simply to get rid of any toxins that may be there from the original store containers).

Any information as always is helpful and thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I couldn't see the pics. I don't know what you mean about bad bubbles, but betta make bubble nests sitting in a cup on a shelf at the store - I don't think it has to do with being "happy". It's just something that they do. granted, probably means the fish is not being poisoned by the water, and if fish had emotions that would probably make it happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The links work for me both clicking them how they are and clicking them in Incognito - not sure why you wouldn't be able to see them. To rephrase the questions - how can one tell if the bubbles are from the fish or foamy bubbles from toxins building up?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best indicator that your water is free from harmful toxins is to purchase an API freshwater test kit. When I first got my Betta before I was educated on the subject his water "appeared" perfect it was clear and he seemed happy until the ammonia was so high he began to suffer ill effects. There are several threads about doing water changes, the smaller the aquarium, filter, no filter, the more frequently they will have to be done.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The links work for me both clicking them how they are and clicking them in Incognito - not sure why you wouldn't be able to see them. To rephrase the questions - how can one tell if the bubbles are from the fish or foamy bubbles from toxins building up?

I'm on the app - they don't work for some reason unbeknownst to me. I've never heard of ammonia causing bubbles. The only bubbles I know of come from the fish, from some medications, and from soap.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Those look like fish bubbles to me!!

In a divided tank like that, I would really recommend giving them some more decor - most importantly a place to hide, and get out of view of the other fish.

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Those bubbles are normal. Most of my fish have them, they spit them out when they breathe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts