Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Sorry for the number of posts, but I can't figure out what's wrong with my female betta, Grandma.
Around the week before Christmas, she stopped eating. I tried switching up her diet by feeding her some frozen brine shrimp, but she still refused to eat. Then, after about a week, she started laying on her side on the bottom of the tank. I noticed some gold dust looking stuff on her head and side, so I changed her water and added some water conditioner, aquarium salt, and medicine to treat Velvet. She was (and still is) also missing two pieces of her rear fin.
A few days later, she started acting even weirder. She buried her head in the rocks and stood straight up in the air, and when I approached the tank, she would swim around sporadically and then nose dive right back to the bottom of the tank. I've noticed that her spine seems to have an "S" shape, but I don't know if that means anything.
When I woke up this morning, one of her eyes seemed to be bulging. It's like she keeps getting sicker and sicker, and I don't know what to do. She hasn't eaten in almost a month. I'm worried, and I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what I can do to make her feel better.

Here's the form:

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.5, I know it's not ideal, but it's all I can afford at the moment.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Not sure
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Yes, bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice daily, two worms each time

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 times weekly
What percentage of water did you change? Full water change, I've since learned this isn't ideal
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? Water conditioner and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: Don't know
Nitrite: Don't know
Nitrate: Don't know
pH: Don't know
Hardness (GH): Don't know
Alkalinity (KH): Don't know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? She's become much paler, Velvet-looking gold dust, pieces of her rear fin are missing, her eye is bulging, and her spine seems out-of-whack
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Very lethargic with occasional sporadic swimming
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I used a treatment for different funguses, like Velvet and ich
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? About 6 months, I got her at PETCO, so I'd consider her a rescue

Here's a photo of her this morning:
Flower Water Plant Botany Organism

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.