Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I've been thinking about changing Spike gravel to sand when I get his plants. It's just lately, I think his gravel looks....whats the word? I just feel unhappy with his gravel. Not sure why tho:question:

So I have a few questions on sand, I believe I will be sticking a small plate on the bottom to keep the sand from getting a hole from new water being poured in....will the water get cloudy? Should I keep Spike out while it is cloudy?

Should I keep half of the original water in his aquarium and just scoop out the gravel?

I can't think of anymore questions....if I do post em.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I went and bought some white sand. The bag says to let it set for 48 hours before adding fish. Should I let it sit for 48 hours? Why does it need to sit for 48 hours?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
You'll probably have to rinse it thoroughly since it has small particles, spend at least 10-20mins rinsing it. What size is your tank? Sand is only a good idea if you have a filter, the filter should take care of most cloudiness. I wouldn't put him in till it sets.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll probably have to rinse it thoroughly since it has small particles, spend at least 10-20mins rinsing it. What size is your tank? Sand is only a good idea if you have a filter, the filter should take care of most cloudiness. I wouldn't put him in till it sets.
It is 5.5 gallons and has it's own filter. How should I rinse it? Put it into a big bowl/agitate it with my hands with cold or hot water running over it?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yea, you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands cause you have to stir it well. Get a large bucket, and run water, don't know if there's a better temperature. Stir it a lot, a dust should rise up and just let it overflow out with the water.. Without getting too much sand pouring out, it may take a while for you to get it, but you should figure it out. I'm getting sand for my 10 gallon too <3

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands cause you have to stir it well. Get a large bucket, and run water, don't know if there's a better temperature. Stir it a lot, a dust should rise up and just let it overflow out with the water.. Without getting too much sand pouring out, it may take a while for you to get it, but you should figure it out. I'm getting sand for my 10 gallon too <3
alright
so I don't have to leave it sit for 48 hours?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Maybe not 48 hours with a filter.. Just wait however long until the water is cleared. Some sand is heavier, finer ones would take longer to settle.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
My sand (designed for tanks) had all settled within about ten minutes of me filling the tank all the way up, but apparently that's abnormal. Then again, I do have a pretty good filter.

If you have a filter with a long inlet tube, you may want to put a shot glass around the inlet base to prevent sand being sucked up into the filter. :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to change his substrate. I changed it tonight xD
Spike was NOT happy in his cup. Needless to say I got a "talk to the fin" response every time.

Here's a partial view as to what the tank looked before

And here it is now.....is the intake tube too long? Looks alright to me

Floating Spike so he stays warm with his heater. He keeps trying to swim past the "invisible barrier"

Oh yeah...Kitty says "Hi"

·
Registered
448 Posts
Very nice set up I just finished my second one tonight. I'm still in the middle of cycling so no fish in it yet and doing the panty hose gravel trick to preserve what bacteria I had in the tank. Hopefully it don't set me back to much.

Anyways I love mine it looks so much better with the sand than the gravel. Oh and those logs where did you get those I need those lol.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice set up I just finished my second one tonight. I'm still in the middle of cycling so no fish in it yet and doing the panty hose gravel trick to preserve what bacteria I had in the tank. Hopefully it don't set me back to much.

Anyways I love mine it looks so much better with the sand than the gravel. Oh and those logs where did you get those I need those lol.
From a local store called Pet Bazaar.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Bazaar/136471956382691

Their care for fish is just as horrible as the pet stores. Cracked tanks, small tanks, big fish and not big enough tanks, incompatible fish housed together, etc. But their selection for fish products is pretty great. Their specialty is reptiles and personally, I think they should stick to reptiles and stop selling live fish.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The guy at my LFS which seems like he knows what he is talking about as he has some prize fish (fish for show and not for sale) in his shop. His fish all look very healthy and stocked properly. Has several salt and fresh water 100+ gallon tanks set up. Told me that if you don't get it rinsed properly the only way to clear it is water changes. It could take a couple days to clear though depending on how fine your sand is and with the finer sand you may get cloudy water more often. If you stir up the sand before water changes you can reduce the likelihood of cloudiness even if you have a lighter sand base.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy at my LFS which seems like he knows what he is talking about as he has some prize fish (fish for show and not for sale) in his shop. His fish all look very healthy and stocked properly. Has several salt and fresh water 100+ gallon tanks set up. Told me that if you don't get it rinsed properly the only way to clear it is water changes. It could take a couple days to clear though depending on how fine your sand is and with the finer sand you may get cloudy water more often. If you stir up the sand before water changes you can reduce the likelihood of cloudiness even if you have a lighter sand base.
The back of the bag did say I should wait 48 hours....
I just hope Spike won't get stressed/annoyed at me :\

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, I had assumed the water would of been clear by now/had started acclimating him to the water change....what affects could this water quality have on him?

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it was me... I'd stir up the sand really good and let it settle for a minute then do a large water change 75-90%. Then add Spike back in the water. The cloudy water won't hurt him, it's really just not nice to look at lol.

Just curious does your filter dig into your sand where the water comes into the tank? (Hope this makes sense)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it was me... I'd stir up the sand really good and let it settle for a minute then do a large water change 75-90%. Then add Spike back in the water. The cloudy water won't hurt him, it's really just not nice to look at lol.

Just curious does your filter dig into your sand where the water comes into the tank? (Hope this makes sense)
Your question doesnt really make sense
But I do know my filter doesn't do anything to the sand....if that helps.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would removing a large cup of water and replacing it with new water every day be too much of a change?
Doesn't seem like it to me....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts