Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male veiltail Ianto Jones is his usual spastic self, but he has something growing on his fin and I'm not sure what to do.

He shares a divided 20gal high tank with his brother Captain Jack Harkness, a male plakat. The plakat has no noticeable problems.

All of the plants are silk, the anemone decoration is rubber. It has an aqueon heater that keeps it roughly 80 degrees in there. I use Prime conditioner and aqueon freshwater aquarium salt. Their tank cover broke so I've been using foil as a temporary solution to keep the heater from having to work overtime, since our house is roughly mid-60s right now. I've since gotten rid of the foil, since that's the only outlier I can rule out right now.

I don't know what this is or what I should do to fix it. He swims normally, eats normally, and was more than happy to pose for the camera. The growth almost looks like a barnacle, and I don't know how to get rid of it. He's never been a tail-biter. Is this some form of fin rot or something else?

Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Poor baby! My best guess is some kind of fin rot, though I'm no expert. I think your first step should be to quarantine him if possible. I don't really know the best medicine to try. Maybe start with aquarium salt? I hope someone who knows more can help and I hope he gets better!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@charc14

If that disease moves as quickly as the thread says, it's not that. The fin has been a bit discolored for a few weeks, but as far as I can tell the circular growth is new. His behavior hasn't changed a bit either.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Whatever this is, I would consider putting him into a hospital tank to protect the plakat. It is safe to use saran wrap to cover your tank, It will help keep the heat and humidity in. Just be sure to poke some small air holes in it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
From the pictures, I believe it looks like a fungal infection and probably not columnaris (bacterial). I'd follow Mike's suggestion to isolation him and treating with API Fungus Cure or Tetra Fungus Guard. (Is Mardel still making MarOxy? That would work too.) If you can't find either of those, anything containing potassium permanganate should do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts