Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with a big algae problem lately.
Not a betta tank, but meh ;)

I'm not really experienced with live plants so I'm still learning and everything so every advice will help.

Setup : 32 (ish) gallon fresh water with guppies (around 10 + frys)
Plants : Not sure about everything but : Rotala, Myriophyllum, Amazon Sword, I will add more later once I can find a decent place online. (the selection in LSF sucks) and I still haven't decided what kind.

Temperature : 84
Lights : Aqua-glo and a Flora glo on for about 11-12h a day. I tried for 8-10h but the plants became a bit paler so I'm not sure. No Co2 (doubt I need it with the amount of poop/fishes anyhow heh)

I'm careful not to overfeed (they eat everything in 1 minutes, twice a day, fasting one day)

The green algae is mostly on the glass, the plants seems to be ok (same for the driftwood, but I haven't taken it out of the water to check)

I scrub it once a while, but it's a pain in the butt and even though I know -some- algae is alright, I'm wondering if that quantity is normal... (I have two other tanks, smaller, which don't have the same problem)

I'll try to get an ancistrus soon to help, but I doubt it's going to be enough.
If I add Amano shrimp (like...8-10) would that help? too much?

What can I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think it's called green spot algae. I had a problem with it once and I kept scrubbing it off. I think your problem, though, is that you keep your tank lights on for waaayyy too long. lol. I think most people recommend 8 hours per day. If your plants aren't doing well when you reduce the hours of light, you may need more wattage and/or higher K number on your lights.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree that the lights being on too long. I would go 8-9 hours a day. My amano shrimp never eat algae off the glass. They tend to clean the plants. You could try a few nerites or otto cats to clean the glass up. Also is there a reason you have your temp so high? I would bring it down to around 78. It's my understanding freshwater plants don't do so well in higher temps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's green spot algae for sure. There are a few ways to deal with it.

1) scraping it which is not the best idea. It just puts it back in the water column and keeps it going.

2) Leave it alone. It's going to suck, but unlike other algae it has a limited life if left alone. It will be unsightly for up to a month but will then die off and go away

3) I used to have a problem with it, then I got a filter with a UV light and it pretty much dissapeared within a week

4) Get something that eats it. Amanos probably will, but I'm not sure as I've never had any. I know my rcs would sometimes pick at it, but not much. I know otto love it.

5) Not sure about the lighting as it's sounds like the lighting is kind of weak. You can try doing a blackout for a week, aka keep the lights off for a week, and see if it starts to go away. I tried this when I had the issue, and it wasn't to effective, but might be worth a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts