Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need some help with a diagnosis... I bought my betta knowing he might be sick,
because every other betta in the store looked like they were sick/dying and some
actually were dead. I believe he was blue and red at first.. but not super vibrant
like all my other bettas have been.. He has since lost nearly all his colour..still
slightly blue (metallic looking though) with a bit of red in his fins but he looks dull
and unhealthy. He looks like he has coppery purple colours as well sometimes.
His tail/fins look tattered with streaks which are black or grey. He
also looks as if his scales have been rubbing off.. The first few days I had him I
don't think he ate at all and I did not see him come out of his cave once. I was
hoping he wasn't sick and instead jus needed some time to adjust to his new home.

I went away unexpectedly for 3 weeks and while I was gone, my roommate really
overfed him the flake food (which is for my other fish in my other tank) instead of
his BettaBites...and never changed his water or anything!
:demented: There
wasn't any sand/rocks on the bottom so there was nowhere for the food and/or
waste to go. It looked pretty savage and feel terrible. I have been home for 2
weeks now and when I first got back, all my fish did was lay at the bottom hiding in
his rock. When he did come out, he would thrash around violently. After I took
everything out and did a 100% water change, He seemed much happier. He has
been eating like crazy. I have been feeding him 3-5 pellets a day and some days I
feed him a dried blood worm or two as well. He doesn't look physically healthier,
but he now swims around a lot and is eating normally. I also haven't seen him thrash at all.

I have a hunch that what he has is velvet. I have had fish get velvet in the past and
this seems similar. He does have a coppery/gold tone to him when I shine a flash
light on him and he was hiding in the darkest place in the tank, which makes sense
because the velvet parasite needs light to live. But I have been doing a TON of
reading about fish and diseases over the past week and I read a lot about how
medicating unnecessarily is creating strains of diseases which are resistant to the
medications. I have medicated my fish in the past without being certain what was
wrong with them and it has worked but it has also failed. This time I want to make
sure I know what I'm treating for before I try to treat.
I will include some pictures in this post so you guys can see what he looks like.
I am quite sure he is sick but would like a second oppinion(s) Any help is appreciated!

*Also, I already have Tetra-O Parasite Guard and API Furan 2. Wondering if it is
velvet, which one should I use? I can't remember what kind I used to treat it last
time... And I also add API Stress Coat+ and API Aquarium Salt. And he is in a 2.5
gallon tank. Thaanks in advance

- Haley & Little Fin

ok, i can't figure out how to add photos
i copy the url and when i preview post, they don't show up and
they aren't in the post at all anymore...
so if someone could help me with that as well that'd be cool
lol :oops:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow--your poor guy has been through a lot and survived. That's one tough fish.
It will help if you can fill out these questions from the sticky:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

In the meantime, the best things you can do are provide clean, conditioned water at the proper temperature. I would suggest getting two things from the local pet store: Prime water conditioner and aquarium salt. Make up some fresh water according to the instructions on the Prime container. Add a dose of the salt according to instructions. Gradually change your bettas water over to this new water. I'd do a 100% change but in stages, like one third, wait a couple hours, another third, and so forth.

From what you describe so far, your poor guy was exposed to a lot of ammonia. It may be that rather than a disease that is the problem. Answer the questions above and post a photo so we can help.

It will also help to have a thermometer and heater and get the water temperature to 78F. Your guy should feel a lot better in this water.

·
Registered
451 Posts
To attach a photo with the quick reply, click the go advanced button under the text box and then scroll down and click manage attachments. You can upload a photo from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he seems to have gotten worse since i first made this post.
he has started the thrashing again. this time it seems like anytime i put anyting
on the table his tank is on, or if I move near him, he gets spooked.. and will
start thrashing around.
ok so I will fill out the questions and hopefully that will help you help me.

Housing

What size is your tank?
2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank?
77° F
Does your tank have a filter?
no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no
Is your tank heated?
yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

just by himself

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Betta Bites (pellets) and dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?

once a day 3-4 pellets, and a few times a week 1-2 dried blood worms broken up into little pieces

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
approx every 10 days I peform a small water change and usually monthly I'll perform a large one, where I'll take everything out to clean it
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
25% when doing a small water change and then I'd say 50-90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

every water change I add a little API Stress Coat+ and when performing a larger water change I add API Stress Coat+, API Aquarium Salt and Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
currently N/A. Been meaning to purchase a water test kit. My friend has one of those liquid ones, was going to ask him if I could use it..I've only every used the test strips & heard liquid is far more accurate

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
colour loss, scales appear to be rubbing off, he is coppery purple/metallic, tattered looking fins and tail, clamped fins, black/grey streaks in tail/fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
thrashing around violently in tank, sometimes very lethargic and no appetite.. Sometimes appetite is fine and he's very energetic and friendly. When he's lethargic, just lays in his rock hole in the shadows
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Not long after I brought him home (2-ish months ago) & worse after I got back from my trip
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
raised temperature, double dose of API Stress Coat+ (recommended on bottle to help heal and add slime coat), a little extra Aquarium Salt and I've been trying to keep him away from too much light (other than when I took the pictures), incase it is velvet. he seems to be a lot happier when its darker.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
he looked slightly ill when i bought him, as did every other betta in the store...
How old is your fish (approximately)?
actual age unknown, but he's been part of my family for approx 2 months

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.