Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Completed form below.

So last week I introduced a cave-like object for my Aldo (my betta) to swim through, but I realised in a day that he was trying to swim through the small openings on top instead of under it. I also saw him get stuck and back track to release himself.

I removed the swim-through of course but the next day I saw this white patch on his head. So I started to clean 20% of his water regularly, wasn't sure if it was ich or a bruise or fungus. (New fish owner, sorry)

It's been two days now and this white patch has spread.
He is eating well and extremely active. I did also notice him bumping into the plants and sort of searching for something in the gravel.

It's a 2-gallon tank, with a 5 gallon being shipped, I got him two weeks ago as a gift.
Can someone help explain what might be the problem...
The close-up pic is from day 1.
And the full-body pics were taken today. Please help
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
-- 2 GALLONS
Does it have a filter?
-- NO
Does it have a heater?
-- NO
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
-- NO
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
--NO

Food:
What food brand do you use?
-- OPTIMA
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
-- PELLETS
Freeze-dried?
-- NO
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
-- OVERFED HIM THREE DAYS LAST WEEK, FOOD WAS AT THE BOTTOM. SO STOPPED FEEDING FOR A DAY AND RESTARTED WITH JUST A SMALL PINCH THRICE A DAY. STOMACH REMAINED FLAT.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
--every day 2 DAYS
What percentage of water did you change?
25%
What is the source of your water?
-- MINERAL WATER ( bottled water)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
--DIP OUT THE WATER, (SIPHON IN THE MAIL TOO)

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
-- NONE, NO CONDITIONER TOO

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
-- NOT TESTED

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
-- TWO DAYS AGO
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
-- BIG SPOT WITH SCALES MISSING/ DISCOLORED

How has your Betta’s behaviour changed?
-- HE SWIMS ERRATICALY SOMETIMES AGAINST THE GLASS MOSTLY AND SEARCHES IN THE GRAVEL

Is your Betta still eating?
--YES, NOTHING HAS CHANGED HERE
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
-- NOT YET, AS I DONT KNOW IF SOMETHING IS WRONG, AND DONT WANT TO MEDICATE HIM UNNECESSARILY
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
-- JUST GOT HIM 2 WEEKS AGO, SO MEDICAL HISTORY UNKNOWN.

How long have you owned your Betta?
-- 2 WEEKS

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
-- NO HE WAS AND STILL IS JUST PERFECT, EXCEPT FOR THAT WHITE PATCH WHICH IS RECENT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! This could possibly be his coloration.

You need to get your water parameters tested as soon as possible, --a pet store will do it for free but you need to know what is going on in his environment on a regular basis, so obtain either test strips or a kit (if you go with strips be sure and also get the separate ammonia strip).

In the meanwhile I'd do water changes daily so as to ensure he isn't experiencing high ammonia or high nitrates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! This could possibly be his coloration.

You need to get your water parameters tested as soon as possible, --a pet store will do it for free but you need to know what is going on in his environment on a regular basis, so obtain either test strips or a kit (if you go with strips be sure and also get the separate ammonia strip).

In the meanwhile I'd do water changes daily so as to ensure he isn't experiencing high ammonia or high nitrates.
Firstly, thank you for that quick revert. Will order a test kit too... Fish stores in India don't test water for free I reckon (But will check)
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, thank you for that quick revert. Will order a test kit too... Fish stores in India don't test water for free I reckon (But will check)
Cheers
Hello there!

Wanted to share a quick update...
So my siphon arrived and the betta water conditioner. Armed with these two I was able to really clean the gravel well and ensure the water was better conditioned. Thirdly I also did away with a water plant which had algae building up.

I have to say the outcome has been so positive. Aldo is recovering! The white patch is turning black again... Yay

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts