Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Max had the lump that burst on his head and was helped across the bridge 13 days ago. I guess I didn't clean equipment well between tanks. On the 16th I noticed Moony had a small swelling on the bridge of his nose, it's been growing, today as I was trying to get good pictures with a new camera it burst in front of me. He's been eating OK, he's always been a fussy eater. First pic is 12 days ago, last 2 are 1 hour ago.
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3 gal
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 nerite snail

Food:
What food brand do you use?Omega one
Do you feed flakes or pellets?both
Freeze-dried?no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once or twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30-50%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 8.6
Hardness (GH): idk- fairly hard
Alkalinity (KH): idk

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2/16
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? bump on nose
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? no
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? just added stress guard today
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?no

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Probably a cyst. If it burst, it might regrow. I can't remember if they're contagious or not. Maybe they get them from parasites? Keep him in warm, clean water, and keep adding stress guard. If he's still eating that's a good sign.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moodynarwhal. Yep, it came back and burst again today. After the last time, he developed popeye, I did epsom salt tank for a week with every other day water changes. Got better, or so I thought. He's been lethargic and not eating last few days. Tomorrw will start again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. Does anyone know how long a fish can go without eating?? He hasn't eaten for 5-6 days and is REALLY skinny. I've offered everything I can think of: flakes/pellets/bloodworms (frozen)/brine shrimp. He totally ignores everything. He's just sitting at the top of the tank, either on a leaf or on the top of the heater. His breathing seems fast and he gasps at the air. I've been doing 25% water changes just in case. They've been reading stable. 0 ammonia/0 nitrate/10ish nitrite. Any suggestions???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts