Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my Betta in a new tank. I was given him recently. He has been in there overnight. This morning when I checked in on him, I had gunk floating on top and stuck all over the rocks on the bottom. I'm not sure what to do or what caused it. Anyone have an idea??

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long have you had the rocks? They could be coated. I have some crushed shells in a tank that peel like that and leave flakes all over my aquarium. I would take out one of the stones and see if you scratch it if any more comes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had the rocks? They could be coated. I have some crushed shells in a tank that peel like that and leave flakes all over my aquarium. I would take out one of the stones and see if you scratch it if any more comes off.
I got the rocks as a gift for the betta. So I haven't had them long. But I will check. If it comes off it would best to take them out right?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You do not want to boil rocks as some can explode. Remove them put in a glass container to see if they shed more stuff. Do as many 50% water changes as it takes to get rid of the gunk. Or, instead of water changes, remove your Betta, strip the tank and rinse and rinse and rinse.

Are you sure the gunk is from the rocks? Do you know what was in the tank before? How did you prepare it for your Betta?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You do not want to boil rocks as some can explode. Remove them put in a glass container to see if they shed more stuff. Do as many 50% water changes as it takes to get rid of the gunk. Or, instead of water changes, remove your Betta, strip the tank and rinse and rinse and rinse.

Are you sure the gunk is from the rocks? Do you know what was in the tank before? How did you prepare it for your Betta?
Oh...good call. I should clarify that I soaked mine in boiling water not boiled them on the stove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts