Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry for posting in the betta section but I feel I will get more responses this way, it is important.

As with betta care sites, many of the guppy sites have conflicting info when it comes to fry care. Are there any betta lovers out there that have knowledge and experience with guppy breeding?

I have no males, my females were already hit when I got them lol. I have one in a separate 10 g filled halfway who looks like she is going to give birth any time. She has squared off a bit I think and I can see the babies eyes in her.

Once the babies come, what am I supposed to do?

I would love to hear of your experiences when breeding and raising fry.

·
Registered
297 Posts
They are usually born with a yolk sac, so i dont feed mine for 1-2days. I start then to be on the safe side. mine always love crushed really small freeze-dried bloodworms, only once a week because it's unhealthy too often :) Then i just feed normal tropical fish flakes, and you can feed them bbs if you have some.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are usually born with a yolk sac, so i dont feed mine for 1-2days. I start then to be on the safe side. mine always love crushed really small freeze-dried bloodworms, only once a week because it's unhealthy too often :) Then i just feed normal tropical fish flakes, and you can feed them bbs if you have some.
These are all the foods I have:

Nutrafin Tropical Fish Flakes
Hikari Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp
The san francisco brand frozen brine shrimp
a microworm culture

Could I use any of these?

I feel like such a newbie when it comes to guppies!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Those are all fine. Many people raise their guppies on flakes crushed really small alone, so anything else will definatly help them grow faster :) Livebearers are generally the easiest when it comes to baby fish, since they are born free-swimming. the biggest danger is having the babies gulped before you can do anything xD Make sure you have something for the babies to hide in. Java moss works well.

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
Livebearers are the easiest to care for. The problem is (as stated above) spotting the female before she gives birth and separating her from others to reduce the chances of fry being eaten. If seen from above, her belly usually looks more round than oval (not always). From below, her anal should be much wider than usual.

You can feed fry any small food (natural or crushed). I usually use live tubefix to power grow them until they begin to show their fins and color. Then I use small pellets. And I prefer to use a tank that has algae (don't know the name or type - definitely not hair/thread algae) on the floor and sides so they can snack on them between feedings.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have algae wafers that don't disintegrate for longer than a day. They are hikari brand algae wafers, would this be okay to use instead of algae? There isn't any algae in the 10g where the soon to be mama is.

·
Super Moderator
6,435 Posts
IME they are not picky on food. Unlike bettas, they will literally eat anything. When I'm out of fish food, I would simply toss in a small piece of bread. Just make sure that you do wc accordingly.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Great info...I want to expand to guppies, mollies, and endlers really soon but I need to get some more tanks first and jars for all my bettas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes they do have contractions.
Some signs to watch for
1. Not eating, usually the female will stop eating just before going into labour.
2. Staying by herself, mine usually hang around the heater when giving birth.
3. going up and down the sides of the tank over and over again.
4. More vibrant colour, the colours on my females tails usually seem richer a day or so before giving birth.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My female has all of those except I put her in a 10g filled half way up to about 78 degrees, but she is hanging out by the heater. Every know and then she will slowly swim around, sometimes going up and hangs out by the bubbler (probably getting oxygen?).

Wait.. nvm now she is down at the bottom towards the front … nvm again lol she is slowly going to the right side…. now up to the surface again.

I read somewhere that movement helps with the birth, do you think that is what is happening?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Yes BBS is the best way to go for feeding any fry! My guppy fry that i have right now are all very healthy and happy with portions of BBS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.