Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So I'm curious to see who has the little betta hammocks and how your fish have reacted to them. I was considering getting mine one as he likes to sit under his plant in the shade occasionally, but never actually "rests" and I'm afraid he won't utilize it if I get it for him.

These:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
He will most likely appreciate it greatly. ive found that my bettas make great use of there hammocks and will rest on them at night. There is only one con about this product. there is a small metal wire running down the middle that can stab at bettas and injure them. I would try and rip it out

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
A great alternative to a "betta hammock" is an annubia plant.
They are very hardy and have very wide leaves that bettas love to "sit" on.
Of course they are not very tall but you can attach them to the glass using a suction cup and some string.
I don't like the commercial betta hammocks because of the wire Mo mentioned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought one for Delta 'cause he likes to sit in the shade, too. Unfortunately, he's just not interested, and I tried feeding him over the leaf, too. Another option is a floating betta log. I picked one up for Delta and he loves it! It gives him shade and a place to hide and something to play with. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had one for a good month or so and BD doesn't care about it in the slightest. But they're pretty cheap, so...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just use some floating plants, My female betta loves to rest on them. I realy like those betta logs and might get one for my CT male soon

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Betta logs are great! I have 3 but only use one because I haven't had the time to prepare them for the tanks.
The paint will chip off so I use aquarium safe spray paint to create a protective coating. Before that I will sand any rough spots.
The betta in my avatar has very heavy fins so he appreciates having a log and uses it often during the day.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't trust anymore zoomed products which have color sprayed on- it always chips and goes weird. (I had the turtle docks for my turtles a couple years ago, hated them) so I wouldn't get the log unless it's safe treated with whatever the above poster mentioned.

The hammock is great. When I brought Ludey home and he was ill he rested in the hammock day and night. As he got better he'd blow his bubbles around it. Now he doesn't touch it. I took out the plastic part and looked for the metal when I still had Lakitu but mine doesn't appear to be constructed with metal. I don't know if they changed the way they make them.

For 3$ you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have had good experiences with my betta hammocks. It took me a little bit that they needed to be lowered a little more for my boys to swim over to them for a rest, but once I realized that's what needed to be done, my boys have enjoyed them. I personally just remove the wires from the leaf and use them.

I do agree with those who have said live plants would provide nice resting spots, but I feel that I just don't want live plants in my 3.5's.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have been thinking about it for pog, i have a plastic plant with resting spaces for betts, like each level had a resting spot, but you only used it in aerated tanks. My female loved it they would all climb on, but Pog ignores it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My betta ignored it so I ended up using it as a filter baffle. I just suctioned it right in front of the filter with the leaf part turned toward the outflow of the filter.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My male Betta named Guppy ignored his hammock for the first day, he preferred to sit on top of the aquarium light instead. When I lowered the hammock I find him resting in it many times a day and he likes to sleep there. The trick is to get the height just right.

Guppy has long flowing fins and the 3/4" recommended was just no enough space for him, but lowering to about 2" made it a favorite spot in his tank.

He leaps off it like a diving board sometimes. It is very cute.

I just got the hammock and I do not see any wire in it, they must have improved the construction of it.

Atena :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had problems with the suction cup coming off of the tank wall and/or the leaf coming out, which was odd, but since neither of my fish ever used it I just tossed it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input everyone! I love the log idea, I think he'll get a kick out of it as its something new to play with, but I guess we won't know if he likes the hammock unless we try it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Here is Guppy resting in his leaf hammock... :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
My betta ignored it so I ended up using it as a filter baffle. I just suctioned it right in front of the filter with the leaf part turned toward the outflow of the filter.
I do something similar with my hammock for Poseidon. I use it to when I'm filling up his tank for water changes. Helps keep it from blowing sand everywhere. Would use his decor, but cannot add it until I have at least 3/4's of the water added back to the aquarium.

My male Betta named Guppy ignored his hammock for the first day, he preferred to sit on top of the aquarium light instead. When I lowered the hammock I find him resting in it many times a day and he likes to sleep there. The trick is to get the height just right.
That's exactly what I did and afterwards they started using them. ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Betta loves his Leaf Hammock!! At first he was flaring at it when getting use to the tank but now always loves to swim over on top of it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts