Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago we noticed his fins were shredded, from catching on things or biting. He also had a bit of white fuzz on them. We put in aquarium salt to treat what we thought was columnaris, and two days later the fuzz was gone. We changed his water again to get some of the salt out. Today, his tank is murky white (bacterial bloom?) and he seems to be shedding his slime coat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at work right now. :-\ I have some water tanning at home, so when I get home in 6 hours I'll put him in ISO with stresscoat and IAL. His tank right now has both though, but it also has what looks like underwater cobwebs...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should we use any medicine? And should we boil everything from his big tank?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have suggestions? o.o
Here's a picture that has the underwater cobwebs and then how his tail fin looks...

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If he's shedding his slime coat, stop using the AQ salt. AQ salt makes them shed their slime coat because basically it irritates the coat enough so that he overproduces it, then shedding the excess. But if he sheds it too much he can become vulnerable to other illness because their Slime Coat is basically their immune system, it keeps the baddies out.

So what you want to do now is just do 100% or close to it, daily water changes while continuing to use Stress Coat conditioner for him at double dose.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, lil. :3 I hope he pulls through. It's clear he's a real fighter, but he's also old as dirt.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
How old is he?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Over 3 years.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ah okay, it's still not terribly old, they can usually get to 5 years with good care and all but I know that 3 is usually an average for most. I still hope he pulls through though, how's he doing today? Any changes with his slime coat?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going home to check soon. What should we do about his big tank? Boil everything to kill the bad stuff?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If you want to, it probably won't help much because columnaris along with many other bacterial infections are always present in the water, waiting for a fish's immune system to be compromised and then attack. You can't get rid of it by boiling things so either he get's better and can overcome this or he can't. So for now, I'd just let it run but if you feel the need to take it down and start over by boiling then go right ahead but either way it will basically be the same unfortunately :-/

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well he had what looked like white fuzz on one fin. We used aquarium salt and a day later it was gone. So he's in QT now but when don't know what we should do about the underwater cobweb looking crap in his big tank.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Siphon it out and do as many mini water changes as you need to if you don't want to take it all down at that point. Or you can just take out all the ornaments, siphon most of the stuff out after so you don't have to take it all down, just the ornaments to give them a rinse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts