Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am officially starting my own journal thread! This will be my first entry.

Wed 5/14/2020

You guessed it... I call my aquatic pets, "water babies". Weird? Maybe a little, but here we are. I feel like I should give a short description of what I have going on in my world right now. I have a 72 gallon community tank that has been running for over a year. I have a ton of little guys in there. Tetras, mollies, platies, a couple BN plecos & now my bettas. I do keep my male and female betta in the community tank (it's been about a month since I've gotten them) and I know I know... Controversial. So far, it's been peaches and cream. Everybody gets along so I'm feeling good. I do, however, plan on setting up separate tanks for the bettas in the near future. Not because they aren't getting along fine in the community, but because I'd love to showcase them individually. I have several 10 gallon tanks- so I imagine I will use those. Oh, I also have a turtle! He's a little red eared slider (about 4 inches) and he lives in my outdoor pond. That's all I have for water babies right now, and everything is going great. I am looking forward to getting the tanks set up for the bettas. Maybe some day I can give a shot at breeding.... :unsure:
Okay so how about some more about the bettas. My male is a mustard gas HM and his name is Butter Bean. I fell in love with his grump face. His nickname is "grumpbag", even though he's far from it. He has been quite the gentleman and seems quite peaceful. The only aggression I've seen from him is when the male mollies get in his face- he doesn't appreciate that and I don't blame him. I have one male molly who is quite the pest- if you could describe a fish as a crackhead- that'd be him. My female is a plain jane blue veiltail and her name is Gypsy. She is more adventurous and brave than Butter Bean. She explores the whole tank and doesn't seem to be afraid of ANYTHING. I really enjoy watching her and she always comes up to the glass to say hello.
I am getting ready to move to a new house at the end of June, so I am feeling VERY anxious about having to move the tank. Once I get settled in the new house is when I plan on getting the bettas into their new tanks. I may set them up here soon, just to get the cycle going. The house is only about a 5 minute drive from where I'm at now, so I should be able to save water and get everything set back up in a short amount of time so I don't lose any BB from filter/decor/ect. Fingers crossed! 馃
I don't plan on doing much with the tank(s) until I move- so not sure how exciting this journal will be until then. But I thought it would be fun to start one and share my adventures with everyone. Until next time...

Registered
You guessed it... I call my aquatic pets, "water babies". Weird? Maybe a little
You have not been a member on this site for long have you? We all refer to our fish as water babies, its " weird " ones that don't LOL.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Fri 5/15/2020

Second entry- let's do it! I just noticed that on my first entry I put "wed" and it was actually thursday. WAY TO GO. 馃お Anyway, not much to write about but did want to share some photos I took this morning of the bettas. I will share at the bottom of the post. Take a look at my guy, the LFS sold him as a "mustard gas halfmoon".... And I am by no means a betta expert, shoot, I'm just a newbie. But to me, he looks like a delta. Let me know your thoughts? Either way, I still love my grumpbag. Also snapped a shot of Gypsy- not a super clear shot of her, but I think it's a fun picture. She's such a dark blue and when the light hits her just right she is just this beautiful shade, it's like an indigo. She has been spending a lot of time hanging out with my dalmation mollies. At first, I was worried she would be aggresive towards them but from what I've seen she just wants to hang out. She follows the pack around and seems interested in everything they do. So great, now I have a betta who thinks she's a molly. LOL
In the non-betta part of my world, I have platies who are ready to drop fry. Most of these will be snackies for the rest of the group- but it's always exciting to see if 1 or 2 will make it! I had a dalmation molly drop fry a few weeks ago and I've seen 2 still hanging around- so we'll see if they make it. Rooting for those little stinks- they are so cute! Tomorrow is water change day, so I will have to make sure I don't suck anybody up... 馃槄

Registered
Your male and female live together, mine too. My brother has sort of "loaned" me is fish because we are trying to breed them. My Dad wants them to breed without conditioning, even though they are SUPER jet lagged. Anyway I added them to the breeding tank and all the do is sleep together. They have been at it for a whole entire day!

I hope they will snap out of it soon so I can remove them and start conditioning them for spawning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Oh poor things- they must need the rest! I've never bred bettas so I'm not sure everything that goes into it but good luck!

Registered
Loving the journal so far, and your Bettas look beautiful! 鉂 I have one Betta and he looks similar (fin shape wise) to your mustard half moon, I鈥檓 not sure what type he is either..

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Sat 5/15/20

Water change day! So I actually enjoy water change day- is that totally wierd? 馃槣 Anyway here's what happened.... Vacuuming as normal and watching for fry. I saw only 1 molly fry so either the rest got eaten or are dang good hiders! So I'm almost done vacuuming and BOOM.... I suck up a neon tetra. He goes up into the vacuum (doesn't go up into the main hose) and I'm freaking out. I've never sucked up a fish before! I don't know what to do! I see him swimming inside the vacuum and I panic and start shaking the vaccum. Wrong thing to do! Now he's twirling around in a water tornado inside the dang vacuum! Im screaming at the fish at this point, "get out you idiot!" And apparently this worked because he swam right out. Whew! Finished up and checked everybody a few hours after- everybody seems okay. I'm hoping platy will drop fry tonight since I did water change.... We'll see!
As far as betta world goes- same old. Gypsy is still hanging out with the mollies. Whatever makes her happy LOL. Butter Bean is such a gentleman. He waits for his pellets at the top of tank and doesn't give any reaction to the platies and mollies bumping into him. I am trying to feed the little guys on one side and the bettas on the other but sometimes it doesn't go to plan... 馃槄 Such good bettas! Maybe I just got very lucky!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Your bettas are lovely!!

Will she get lonely if/when you move her out?
I'm not sure. I know everywhere you read bettas are solitary fish that don't want/need tank mates- but my girl seriously seems to enjoy having buddies. I could leave her in the community and just get another pretty boy to put in one of the solitary tanks! Not against that idea! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Mon 5/18/20

Happy Monday! I visited my parents over the weekend and scored some aquarium stuff! My mom (well it was mostly my step-father who did it) used to keep a couple aquariums. I was grown and out of the house already so I wasn't around for much of it. They have since split up, but we discovered he left most of the aquarium stuff in my mom's basement. We were down there looking for something and I saw a couple tanks and stuff and was immediately excited! So I left with a 10 gallon tank with a topper & lights, 2 air pumps & tons of air line, a gravel vacuum and a heater. I'd say that's a good deal for FREE so I am pretty excited! I plugged in everything to make sure it's working and it's all good to go! :D
In other news, my platies have still not dropped their fry. I did my water change this weekend and was really hopping they'd pop at night- but nope. But I did find that I have 3 molly fry that have survived! I guess the addition of "Fry Town" (new caves/plants) I put in the tank has helped the little stinks- they are so cute!
I am really starting to think my bettas are broken... Not in a bad way! My female thinks she's a molly, I swear! She even blends in with them, she's so dark that sometimes I think she's my all black molly. I have to double take sometimes and then I'm like oh no, that's Gypsy pretending to be a molly. :ROFLMAO: Butter Bean is as far from aggressive as anything. I have been trying very hard to feed the bettas on one side of the tank and the rest on the other. The other fish don't even like the betta food- but they still put it in their mouth and spit it back out, jerkbags. Anyway, Butter Bean just waits so patiently at the top for his food and even when the other fish come banging into him he just waits. He has started following my hand/fingers when I feed. So I have been trying to feed him 1 piece of food at a time, I drop it right in front of him so he can grab it. It's been working pretty good, I think he knows how it works! I definitely can't wait to get him in his own tank- I am going to go ahead and fill up one of the 10 gallons this week and get it cycling for him. It should be cycled by the time we are settled into our new house and then I can pop him in there. I am thinking I will leave Gypsy in the community- for now she's having a good time so why change it. So now I'm excited about getting another pretty boy for one of the other 10 gallons- I want a koi betta so bad! I'll try to get a picture of Gypsy hanging out with the mollies- but it's hard since everything is always moving!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Fri 5/22/20

Finally friday, my favorite! So today I am going to paint the backside of Butter Bean's (new) tank and hopefully get it all set up and going. I haven't quite decided on a color yet. I posted in the forum earlier this morning asking for suggestions. I really want to try a glitter/sparkle paint! I've never seen this done, so I'm not sure how it would turn out.......:unsure: I was thinking blue or black. ORRRR I found this "glitter holographic galaxy" paint which looks super cool! Either way, that's happening today! I also need to grab substrate and a few plants for it. I am really leaning towards trying out live plants. I say "trying out" because I've never had a planted tank. It scares me a little bit, but I think I need to give it a go! Wish me luck! :giggle:
Fish updates: Nothing new. Water change day tomorrow so we'll see how many fry are still hanging in there! Last I saw there were 3 molly fry. Gypsy is still pretending to be a molly and Butter Bean is still a wimp. 馃槀 Ok, so he's not a wimp but he's just so totally chill. He is looking good! His color is looking less faded every day and we've got a good feeding routine down. Except for Gypsy.... Again, she has to be a wierdo. She won't eat the betta pellets at all. She spits them out. She instead goes for the tropical fish flakes. I don't want her eating those, I want her eating the betta pellets! I think I am going to grab some worms and see if she will eat those. She is such a character!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Tues 5/26/20

Welcome to tuesday! I had a 3 day weekend and it was so fabulous. 馃槉 The weather is about perfect right now, not too hot and not too cold. Turtle man has been enjoying his time outside catching some rays! I got Butter Bean's 10 gallon set up- so that's rocking. I painted the glass a sparkly black and used black sand- looks pretty good! I will post pics later on. I think once it's cycled, I will try to add a few live plants and see how that turns out. I can't wait to get Butter Bean in there! He's doing well in the community, I just feel bad when the mollies bump him and get in his face at feeding time. I have been feeding him one piece of food at a time and I actually ward off the mollies with my other hand. 馃槄 They don't even like his food! They literally put it in their mouth and then spit it out- they are such fat pigs! So when they finish up their flakes they come flying to the other side of the tank... :poop: Well- I will try to get on a little later and get some pics on here!

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Butter Bean's future home- 10 gallon.... Well, hopefully once it's cycled I can add real plants. I've never had a planted tank so I'm pretty excited to try it out. 馃槉

And here's a picture of the turtle pond since I mentioned it in my last post! It's been so beautiful outside- the turtle is loving it. He's hiding in the caves in this pic but trust me, he's out sun bathing 90% of the time. 馃尀

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Wed 5/27/2020

Well I was feeding today and noticed Gypsy was being kind of spicey. As you know, she pretends to be a molly and hangs out with the pack most of the time. But today during feeding I noticed she was shooing off the pack. Not usual for her- maybe she's having a rough day, maybe she's extra hungry, or maybe she's coming to her senses amd realizing she's not a molly and wants them away from her... :unsure: She stopped chasing after feeding was over so not sure what to make of it. Will have to keep an eye on her! Maybe she will need to move to her own 10G, which is fine by me! More tanks mean more possibilities. :love: I have always wanted to do a color themed tank. You know, make all the decor and stuff the same color. I really want a pink one buuutttt not sure how Gypsy would fit in. Shes an absolutely beautiful blue in the right light- almost an indigo. It's hard to get her picture cuz she's always on the go or mixed in with the mollies. I snapped one of her today that's not great but shows her beautiful color. She looks a little chunky- could be cuz she just wolfed down everybody's food or maybe she's eggy?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Thurs 5/28/2020

I don't have much to share today but I wanted to share my dream tank(s). I think it's fun to pencil out dreams/future plans. It's even fun to come back later and see what you were dreaming of at the time! So here's some of my dreams....
I want some peacock cichlids! Oh my gosh- how gorgeous are they!? I've never ever had cichlids, have no idea about care for them, but I would love to have a biiiiiig cichlid tank!
I would love to have a school of brightly colored discus! Again, they are sooo gorgeous! I love bright colored fish. I have done a little research on caring for them and I think I could definitely pull this one off!
The next one is probably a lot closer to happening then the first two... I would love to have a rainbow betta or 2...or 3.... Ok, so not sure that's what they are actually called but if you do a google search on "rainbow betta" it comes up with some absolutely stunning color variations!
Oh, I also want to have a koi pond filled with butterfly koi. They are beautiful!
The other thing I want to do, which is kind of odd, is have a bunch of color themed tanks. So this would be separate little tanks but all the d茅cor and stuff is one color. You know, a pink one, a blue one, a lime green one, ect. Orrrrr, do like a tank in each room of the house to kind of "match" the room. So like, my bathroom is beach themed so the tank would be a beach theme. My bedroom is kind of an oriental theme, so the tank would be oriental theme.
Lots to dream about!! :love:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts