Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a little background. I'm on my third Betta in about 6 weeks. I'm really trying to do everything right. My water is very hard. It's registering 180 on the 5 in 1 Api test strip. My last water change, I used about $50 worth of Betta water hoping it would come down. I also read that an Indian Almond Leaf would help, so I added one 2 days ago. Just tested and I have zero nitrates and zero ammonia, but 7.5ph and 180 hardness. Any suggestions. I cannot lose another beautiful fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I found this resource Online:

http://www.wikihow.com/Soften-Hard-Water

Do you own a drinking water filter? Maybe you could use half filtered, half tap? (Or some other ratio, whatever seems best.) Obviously test the water to see how it compares...

Boiling water is also listed as an option but it sounds like you would have to let it sit and retest to make sure it wasn't a temporary fix.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I'm not convinced water hardness is your problem. My water is harder than that, and my fish are fine. Test strips are not the most accurate way to assess water.

Diluting your water with distilled water is an option if you want to soften your water. IAL will lower your pH if the water isn't too hard. The high buffering capacity of hard water will resist pH lowering. A 7.5pH reading is excellent, much lower than mine.

If your soft-water system uses salt (sodium chloride) to replace calcium chloride and magnesium, you water will read as softer, but the salt will not be healthy for the fish.

Switch to Prime water conditioner. This product detoxifies ammonia. More important in your case, I think, is that it removes heavy metals. That's what I use it for with my ammonia-free but mineral laden well water.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Test strips are unreliable. You should get a liquid GH & KH test kit instead. I have relatively hard water and its not a problem for bettas (the idea that hard water causes fin curling is a myth-i have 8 bettas only 1 has curled fins all are in the same water.. curled fins is a genetic issue not water).
All you need is a dechloriantor (I recommend Seachem prime) and your tap. Put water for a water change in a bucket/bowl(try to get temp to be the same as tank water temp-if you have a thermometer n your tank (if not get one) use that when drawing tap to get temp accurate), dechlorinate, and do a water change. "betta water" is a scam, don't waste $ on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also have very hard water, and I use a combination of driftwood and aquarium safe peat moss in all of my tanks. I just put a mesh bag with the peat pellets in my filter and the peat really does help to soften the water a little. Fish love it too. You have to be OK with the tannins slightly staining your water, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have very hard water, and I use a combination of driftwood and aquarium safe peat moss in all of my tanks. I just put a mesh bag with the peat pellets in my filter and the peat really does help to soften the water a little. Fish love it too. You have to be OK with the tannins slightly staining your water, though.
Would you mind posting a picture? I'm a novice and can't picture it. Thank you!

·
Registered
567 Posts
My boy hates hard water, so I'm in the process of getting him used to it by adding it to his tank water bit by bit with each water change or top up along with conditioner. I heard it also depends what the Betta was raised in as well, some breeders raise them in soft water and some raise them in hard water but you can get your fish used to hard water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.