Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a little background. I'm on my third Betta in about 6 weeks. I'm really trying to do everything right. My water is very hard. It's registering 180 on the 5 in 1 Api test strip. My last water change, I used about $50 worth of Betta water hoping it would come down. I also read that an Indian Almond Leaf would help, so I added one 2 days ago. Just tested and I have zero nitrates and zero ammonia, but 7.5ph and 180 hardness. Any suggestions. I cannot lose another beautiful fish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a couple of weeks were meeting with a company to install a soft water system. I hope he can hang in the there until then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I

If your soft-water system uses salt (sodium chloride) to replace calcium chloride and magnesium, you water will read as softer, but the salt will not be healthy for the fish..

Oh my gosh, I was wondering about a salt water softener. Thanks for mentioning that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have very hard water, and I use a combination of driftwood and aquarium safe peat moss in all of my tanks. I just put a mesh bag with the peat pellets in my filter and the peat really does help to soften the water a little. Fish love it too. You have to be OK with the tannins slightly staining your water, though.
Would you mind posting a picture? I'm a novice and can't picture it. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts