Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been cycling my tank and it is almost ready but what worries me the most is the ph which I bought a GH and KH test kit as well as a Master. I did the test last night and they were off the charts that come with them. So I have cement for water!! What do I do, I have read how hard water can curl the fins of a betta. All my other numbers are good.
Thank you

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also have off the charts hard water. Aside from sometimes causing the ends of fins to curl, which you may or may not have happen, I haven't ever heard about anything bad with having hard water. In fact, I rather like it, because my snails don't need anything to keep their shells healthy (calcium). It also buffers PH to help keep it from swinging.

I am even wondering if it may possibly have beneficial effects on bettas, because in the 6 months since I have started getting into them, I have had no illnesses or deaths in my 12 fish. Maybe the added minerals from the water helps them stay healthy? It's just speculation though. Honestly, I don't know much at all about water chemistry :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Betta Nut I appreciate your input. I will bring Samme home tomorrow so want everything to be perfect for him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts