Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I'm very new to taking care of betta fish, and got my first one in late June this year! He's a very laid back kind of fish and currently in a filtered and heated 3 gallon tank; no live plants, but a few silk ones now and again (I rotate my plants).

My fiancee and I have just bought our first home which has its own private well - from what I understand, the water there may be hard water. We currently live in town where the water is from the city and is chlorinated - I currently use a Tetra brand of betta fish conditioner to stabilize the water when I do cleanings on the tank.

My question is, if our new home does have hard water, what should I do to acclimate him to his new tank (am upgrading to a 10-15 gallon for him)? I haven't been able to dig much up about the transition to hard water and have no idea what I need to/should be doing to prepare for this.

A secondary question - are airstones (or aeration systems?) good for putting in a larger tank - or is aerating the water an additional beneficial thing for betta fish, or is it unnecessary with proper filtration? He seems to be doing just fine without additional aeration, but I'm just curious on this is all - most tanks I've seen on the forums seem to contain some type of air system!

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Bettas are usually fine without any kind of aeration as they are surface breathers :) They do use minor amounts of oxygen from the water, but the majority of it comes from breathing the air we breathe.

I was worried about different waters too when I took one of my guys home with me (to a different town) for a week. What i did was got a few containers and filled them with water that he was used to and brought them with me. When I sat his tank up I used 50% water I brought with me and 50% new water, and he seemed to do just fine with that. I would do that maybe 2 times, and increase the amount of new water with the second change. Having the mixture of both waters allows him to get a taste for the new water so it won't be a shock to his system. As always when putting a fish into a tank, be sure to acclimate him too :)

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the advice! I helped acclimate him to his new water and he seems to be doing pretty well! I think the added space from moving him from a 3 gallon to a 10 gallon tank has also helped make this an easy move for him! I'm now enjoying having more room to get him little things to make life more interesting in the tank :) Thanks again!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
No problem, I'm glad everything is going good for you :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts