Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small-ish piece of mopani wood in my betta's habitat. I read somewhere that they can cause issues because of slime, roughness, and so on. I haven't had any issues with the piece yet. Actually my betta mostly avoids the wood, and prefers the areas of open water. I have some lingering concerns about it though...

What are people's opinions on using Mopani in a betta tank? Suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. It just started developing the slime yesterday.

What about sanding mopani? I placed the wood in the tank after a quick rinse with conditioned water, no sanding. My betta hasn't had any issues with the wood yet, but I hear that some people sand it down to prevent injuries.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have two pieces in two different tanks. both got the slime, but it goes away without really doing anything to it, either the fish eat it or it just goes away on it's own. I haven't had any issues of fish hurting themselves on the wood but I guess I could see where there would be some concern

one piece was very smooth and more branch like, but the other has a swirly ragged side that i have facing up in the tank. That tank has a double tail half moon, so he has more fin then he knows what to do with and a bit of a clumsy swimmer. I've seen him decide to wedge himself between a stick and that rough wood and wiggle through. even after inspecting him after, he didn't seem to have torn anything.

i don't see the need to sand the wood down myself, and i know i keep my tanks decently clean so even if he does snag a fin, i'm not too worried about it healing.

if it's a repeated thing though, or they manage to scratch their body, it's easy enough to pull it out and give it a sanding.

Reactions: heyyanthony

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I gave up on my piece of mopani. The slime was over 2 inches thick on the wood and coated every inch of the tank. It grew on plants and killed them. I would frequently find my betta covered in chunks of it. I dealt with it for 3 months, constantly cleaning the walls of the tank, vacuuming it out of the sand, and wiping off plants daily before I finally took it out for good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.