Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta's fins have been getting more and more tattered recently, despite being in a big 2.5 gallon tank. Has he been fin nipping? I'm pretty sure there is nothing sharp in the tank that could catch his fins. Here's the best picture I could get of him.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Reactions: LittleStar

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Lighting can be a big issue with some fin biters. Some floating plants (even sideways silk plants and upside down silk plants) will help difuse the light and make him feel secure. It's a start to deal with fin nipping. Not every fish nips for the same reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lighting can be a big issue with some fin biters. Some floating plants (even sideways silk plants and upside down silk plants) will help difuse the light and make him feel secure. It's a start to deal with fin nipping. Not every fish nips for the same reason.

He normally doesn't get too much light. Just a few hours every day. Do they not enjoy light?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
They enjoy light, just not bright light is all. By adding tall silk plants, you help reduce the amount of light which makes them more comfortable. You can also add a tannin source to help stain the water darker (don't worry, comes out with a water change if you don't like it--it's beneficial to the fish though!). Either a piece of Mopani Driftwood will do or Indian Almond Leaf/Catappa leaf. Or you can get Rooibos tea, it's herbal and so thus no caffeine. Don't use just any tea though, caffeinated tea is bad! No de-caf tea either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts