12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79˚F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets? flakes
Freeze-dried? never
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him twice a day; 2-3 tiny flakes at each feeding.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of water did you change? Either 25% or 50% depending on the amount of time in between changes
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? I use Seachem Prime.

Water Parameters: What are your water parameters?
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 6
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 5 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? My Betta's right eye has been cloudy as of yesterday.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? He's still willing to eat, but I have not fed him today.
Have you started treating your Betta? No.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes; he has chronic fin rot
How long have you owned your Betta? About five months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

I noticed that all day today my Betta has been swimming around with something long and stringy hanging out of where he poops. I thought it was poop, but he has been unable to shake it. The string is a reddish color (the same color of his food), and the end of it is white, almost clear, with two black dots on it.

Last Thursday (six days ago) my sister had fed him way too much food; she fed him as many flakes as he could eat within the span of two minutes. On Saturday, I believe, he had a long red string hanging out of him for a long while, but he did manage to shake it eventually. On the day after, he had a long, almost-clear string hanging out of him for most of the day; he shook that off eventually as well. But today, he is not doing so great with yet another string hanging out of him that will not detach.

Here's a link to a recent thread I've made about my Betta concerning his eye:
https://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-fish-diseases-emergencies/772448-what-happened-his-eye.html

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I checked on him again today and the string hanging from him has gotten about twice as long.

·
Super Moderator
2,798 Posts
Update: I checked on him again today and the string hanging from him has gotten about twice as long.
I'm honestly not sure if that's a parasite, or he's prolapsed. From what I understand some betta with prolapsed bowels do recover, I'd just do extra water changes to keep everything really clean, fast him for 2 or 3 days, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm honestly not sure if that's a parasite, or he's prolapsed. From what I understand some betta with prolapsed bowels do recover, I'd just do extra water changes to keep everything really clean, fast him for 2 or 3 days, and hope for the best.
Thank you for replying! I will do the water changes and continue to fast him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts