Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago Xander made his first bubble nest. Took him over a month, but he did it and I was so happy for him! But had to do a water change and since then he's only done minimal amount of bubbles along the edges. Poor guy, he probably thinks it's pointless now hehe.
This morning my new guy I got Friday apparently made a bubble nest sometime since dinner last night and breakfast this morning. It's so big and full, suprisingly for such a little guy! But I feel bad since I will be doing a water change in the next day or so and yet again, will break another bubble nest.
*sigh*
I get so happy they make them because they are happy and content, and then there I go, messing up all their hard work. =(
Anyone else ever feel bad about messing up their bubbles?

·
Banned
354 Posts
yes, ofcourse.....But the worst is when they build a big bubble nest, for the the female so they can spawn and she goes and destroys the sucker.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
once. i did a bad thing.

Zidane's my orange CT. he's an amazing bubble nester, and always builds the biggest nests. one time, i stuck an IAL in his tank, just to do it, and he nested under and around it. it was so big, and i was so happy, that i didn't change his water for a week, just because he was so proud of it. .___o thankfully, he's in a larger tank(2 gallons), so it wasn't THAT bad..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm dreading doing the water change on Ratchet's new bowl - he built his first bubble nest in months and I dread having to ruin it. He looks so proud of it every time I see him, swimming up and wiggling around. Maybe I can just change the water around the nest without destroying any bubbles... =/

Semi-blind Jazz looks like he's trying to build a nest but he just has little clusters of bubbles all over the surface of his water, like he can't remember where he was going to build it.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
my blind boy, Theo, built a few nests. i was so proud of him! <3 sadly, i had to ruin it, because he used his feeding ring as a base... :< i got photos of it. <3

·
Registered
271 Posts
My blue fish build bubble nest a lot and I just have to do a water change..

·
Registered
97 Posts
My newest CT built a nest less than a week after coming home and I had to destroy it for a water change D: my boy Buckminster builds beastly ones though, an INCH thick covering HALF the surface of his 4.5gal, I love that fish.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i feel horrible whenever i have to destroy bubble nests, i'm pretty happy right now though 'cause i just did a water change yesterday and both of my guys are building nests as i type this so they get to enjoy them for a while before i have to destroy them :)

(uber excited 'cause this is the first time my new guy Hank has built a nest since i got him)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hate destroying the bubble nest :(
I always talk to Blizzard and let him know when I'm going to clean the tank. Then I feed him an extra blood worm and say go for it dude make me another pretty bubble nest.
One time I took Blizzard to the bathroom in a tiny carrying critter keeper. I wanted to show him my big watering hole (the bathtub) He was really impressed with the BUBBLES Oh wow you should have seen the little guy get the big eyes O.O when I put a pile of bubbles next to his cup. It was so cute!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Watermelon builds a bubble nest almost every week and the sociopathic guppies love destroying it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
there is nothing wrong with destroying your bettas bubble nests....
i dont get how people can just not change the water because they dont want to destroy it. the bettas has no use for it unless her were to actually breed, then he would need it.
isnt it better to destroy it while changing his water to keep the tank clean, then to let it go and him get sick because you dont want to mess it up?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i dont get how people can just not change the water because they dont want to destroy it. the bettas has no use for it unless her were to actually breed, then he would need it.
isnt it better to destroy it while changing his water to keep the tank clean, then to let it go and him get sick because you dont want to mess it up?
i agree with this. I feel bad when I wreck Watermelon's bubble nests, but I still clean his tank.
He gets grumpy if I mess up his marvelous creation but at least I know he'll just build another one :roll:

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
You just dont understand us you just dont.... Lol jk i do feel bad destroying mine too lol but he always makes another one.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with people imparting their human emotions onto their betta (which I am guilty of, but I can acknowledge that my fish aren't human and can't perceive emotion as we do). When Ackbar made a nest I'd feel so bad because I just imagined him looking at me (with that grumpy betta face) all, "But Mom...I maked that... *wibble lip*"

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yes, I understand that is what humans do, but it isnt fair to the fish, your pet, whom you have to care for, to think a fish would actually care. its a fish, their brains arent the same as ours because our brains are very specifically wired for the things we need, anyways im not gonna get into that, but thats how i see it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Kjg, I think you have to realize a lot of people are being sarcastic here. Maybe a small handful have skipped a water change to save a bubblenest, but I'm sure not as many as it might seem.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yes, but to me its worth posting what i said, to hopefully influence the handful that do skip the water change. speaking up is how you change things.

i get it, they are pretty, and can you imagine blowing all thoose bubbles? it would take forever, but thats not an exuse to skip a water change lol.
i didnt mean to sounds snooty or anything, i was just saying how i feel, and since its not like the betta needs the bubble nest to live (like fry would) isnt it better to change the water?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.