Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
lately i been seeing a lot of unanswered threads and i was wondering why?
Questions are too silly or ideas too crazy or is so bad to help people that know less than you do and wants to learn?
Come on lets be honest there is some people here with an incredible amount of knowledge and some other like me that don't know much about fish keeping but as stated before, wants to learn.
No one is obligated to answer but please let's collaborate for the well being of other people pets and our own, even do i know every single thread can't be answered by the same person, there is thousand of members at Bettafish.com.
People like me that are new to fish keeping can give so little to no advice because we are not certain if we would do more harm than good.

And that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Generally I regularly look at unanswered threads and if I can answer them I will or provide a link to an active thread discussing the same topic.

"People like me that are new to fish keeping can give so little to no advice because we are not certain if we would do more harm than good."

That is what the forum is here for, to ask questions and provide information / help. Ask your question and someone will provide an answer from their experience, if that information works in your situation then by all means use it. If it is not quite what you are looking for, then someone will provide that information.
If I can any information, I learn from this site, I will double check if possible.

Research online in respect to your question and then if you cannot find a definitive answer then ask on here.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dramaqueen

·
Registered
56 Posts
I too will often try to get to threads that have not been answered but no sense guessing at the answer if I do not know. Sometimes I think they get over looked if it isn't busy when you post the thread and then it gets off the "new posts" first page. Admittedly, this is how I frequent the site. New posts.

I am sorry if your original thread was over looked but please do not give up. This forum is amazing for helping others who are new to the hobby. Amazing people here willing to share their knowledge. I have learned so much here during my stay and I hope that you will as well. Also, hope you hang around once you have learned things to share with other newbies. :)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I sometimes go through threads with no answers.. Unless I'm totally clueless I'll answer, try and find a link talking about the same topic, if there is something I'm not sure of myself I will always say that after.. Sometimes I just tell the person to message a very experienced member about their thread :p Usually after one person replies more people get going on something too so that's always good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try and answer as many threads as i can but since i don't know so much about fish keeping, is a little bit harder for me to answer them all with an accurate answer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me this is not about my threads but everybody elses, that are not answered and i wouldn't like no one to quit at fish keeping or not know how to properly take care of their fish.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I only look at the first page in each section. Since I'm in a different time zone to most of you guys, threads are generally answered before I get to them, because they are asked while I'm in bed. :p

When I don't answer a thread, it's usually because I don't know the answer, but I'll confess I have days where I won't look at threads I'm not interested in, or I'm too tired or too busy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is so honest of you. Thank you so much.
I hope everybody get their questions answered.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
To be truthfully honest, I personally dislike seeing 100 threads saying "OMG MY FISH HAS FINROT WHAT DO I DO?" or "HOW DO I BREED MY FISH?" or other fairly simple and FAQ-like questions when there are a plethora of wonderfully written stickies in the appropriate sections.

Unfortunately it is not practiced in this forum but in my gaming forums, threads are redirected and subsequently deleted when you ask a question that is clearly and properly covered in a sticky.

I don't think it is necessary to have about 5 or so threads a day on "HOW MUCH/WHAT DO I FEED MY FISH" when there are several "Care" stickies at the top.

Normally I just end up linking people to the stickies and/or highlighting the answer to their question in the sticky.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly! You help people like me by telling them where to look.
Thing is that sometimes you might wanna hear different opinions on a topic and get the best out of each answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Exactly! You help people like me by telling them where to look.
Thing is that sometimes you might wanna hear different opinions on a topic and get the best out of each answer. Thanks.
if any newbs are reading this, use the search function first, if you don't find your answer then google your question. THEN and only then, if you find no answer, ask here.

I found more answers and better answers on google than I have here (no offense guys!)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO that would make the site pointless, I guess all people like me want to find a more accurate and reliable answer.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Google is nice for some facts, medicating etc. But a lot of the time people are searching for opinions and personal experiences from a wide range of people- in which case forums are the best. Sometimes a question is so personal, like if your specific stocking ideas will work out as well. Sometimes if a fish is very sick and medicine isn't helping it's good to ask- also if you have an untrained eye, I highly recommend posting a photo of your sick fish on here, it's possible for new members to diagnose things wrong (like me when I was new here, lol ^-^).

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
My pet peeve on this forum is people asking what the "mysterious white film" on their tank is- protein film. I've answered this question sooo many times- I'm currently working on a "Freshwater Aquarium Pests" article that I hope will be stickied.
(Not that that'll stop a ton of questions about what it is...) xD

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish more people would update their posts too, If someone asks for advice and get replys then at least have the courtesy to come back and say thanks and let us know how you made out and which piece of advice helped you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Google is nice for some facts, medicating etc. But a lot of the time people are searching for opinions and personal experiences from a wide range of people- in which case forums are the best. Sometimes a question is so personal, like if your specific stocking ideas will work out as well. Sometimes if a fish is very sick and medicine isn't helping it's good to ask- also if you have an untrained eye, I highly recommend posting a photo of your sick fish on here, it's possible for new members to diagnose things wrong (like me when I was new here, lol ^-^).
Olympia is right, Is impossible to get the personalized answers from google.
Don't get me wrong google is good but it will never como as close as plant advice from MO, or Bombalurinas journal thread "Maybe this will help", or pictures of Olympia's garden and so on.
advice from personal experiences is the best.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.