Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello im new here and im kinda in need of urgent help.

Just a little info: i live with my mom and visit my dad and 11 year old brother every weekend. We purchased two betta fish from our local pet store at my dads one weekend after Easter. I purchased an orange veiltail and my brother a yellow one. Sadly mine, Brenton, died three days later :'( but my brothers is alive still for now. So heres the problem.

Yuri (the sick betta) was perfectly fine when we got him the week after Easter. Sadly my dad didnt allow him to be in a big tank, he is stuck in a vase with a plant on top :( But when we got him he was active and bright yellow with a gray head and black behind the gills. Well now, in October, he is dull, barly moves, and has black spots covering is body. My 11 year old brother takes no care of the poor thing, he thinks its a joke. I come over on the weekends and there are 20+ betta pellet food in the "tank" at once. the water is cold, (below 62ºf) and he just hangs there in the roots of the plants. They changed the water TWICE since we got him in April. Just becuase it doesn't look dirty doesn't mean its not.Well i can rescue him and give him a tank with all his needs, but i cant do this until december :( I need to get him healthy agian so i can bring him home with me (at my moms) i will provide him with a 7 gallon tank, a light,heater,filter, and everything else my brother isnt doing.

I will post pics of him in April and Now as soon as i can, im not going to my dads next weekend so it wont be awile. Sorry and please help

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry, I just want to clarify- you're wondering how you can help him and why he has these black spots?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
The black spots I feel are actually part of his stress. When they stress out they dull/lose color which reveals their undercoat in a way which generally is two black lines running horizontal on their body and sometimes black spots as well. I know a few of my girls have black spots on their head but you can only see them when they're stressed out.

For now, maybe you can try a covert mission to do a water change for him? You might want to try to switch out their bad food for a better pellet brand like Omega One or New Life Spectrum, unless that's what you've got. But they don't foul the water as bad as the bad foods, they still will but just not as much at least. Also using a drop or two of SeaChem's Prime water conditioner in the vase since that get's rid of chlorine, heavy metals and temporarily turns ammonia into ammonium which is less harmful but will turn back into ammonia after approx. 48 hours.

I'm not sure what else there is to do except take him but I know that's probably not feasible :-/

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
He probably won't make it until December. Can take him home in the vase? If you cannot afford a tank yet you could get a clear Sterilite container and keep him in there until you can get something else. This one for example is at least 4-5 gallons and cost me $3.86. Just fill it with water and soak it with water conditioner overnight before you set it up.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Sterilite-18961806-rw-267221-447013.jpg

If have a Big Lots in your area that is where I found this one.

You can also use the shoe box size ones but keep up with the water changes. Poke a hole in the top for air or prop the lid up. You could also leave him in the vase if that won't work out and remove the plant and be sure to do frequent water changes. If they won't let you take him home then would they try stop you from changing the water? Ask them how would they would like to live in their own feces and pee for 8 months? How healthy would they be if they were forced to do so? That is what they are doing to him. Clearly he isn't healthy they can't deny that.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
He probably won't make it until December. Can take him home in the vase? If you cannot afford a tank yet you could get a clear Sterilite container and keep him in there until you can get something else. This one for example is at least 4-5 gallons and cost me $3.86. Just fill it with water and soak it with water conditioner overnight before you set it up.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Sterilite-18961806-rw-267221-447013.jpg

If have a Big Lots in your area that is where I found this one.

You can also use the shoe box size ones but keep up with the water changes. Poke a hole in the top for air or prop the lid up. You could also leave him in the vase if that won't work out and remove the plant and be sure to do frequent water changes. If they won't let you take him home then would they try stop you from changing the water? Ask them how would they would like to live in their own feces and pee for 8 months? How healthy would they be if they were forced to do so? That is what they are doing to him. Clearly he isn't healthy they can't deny that.
+ 1

I would sit down and talk to your dad about the bad example this is setting for your brother. Would he allow your brother to treat a dog like this? Probably not. I would present him with the information that is available on here about proper Betta care. See if approaching it from that perspective works.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If anything take the vase home to your moms, take the plants out, and give him clean water regularly. Tell your dad you really really like him and want see him every day at your moms. It warms my heart to see a young person with such concern for animals. Please keep us updated on him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I am going to bring him to my moms in two weeks hopefully, but until then im going to change his water every weekend i go over and hopefully he will get his color back. I will post before & after pics soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts