Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to apologize in advance for the crappy photos!
I just got this Orange Dalmatian Plakat yesterday and he already has what I'm 99.99% is fungus! ARGGGHHH
I've put him in a smaller enclosure and used pure sea salt because I haven't got any aquarium salt at the moment! Is there anything else I can do.
Is pure sea salt efficient enough to get him past this??
HELP MEEE.
It's on the base of his tail.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sea salt and AQ salt are completely different things. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use sea salt with bettas ever. I think that could kill him. My advice is change the water immediately and keep him in clean water until someone with more experience can help you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh owwie, I can see what looks like an open sore near the base of his tail..

I'd be using something like API general cure, Furan 2 or Kanaplex, as sores come from bacterial issues, usually. Salt will only do so much for infections. I personally prefer to medicate asap..
It is an open sore =[
It's so weird, he didn't have it this morning!

I'll be picking up some medication in the next few days, but my big question now is, was using pure sea salt a bad idea?!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
If has no iodine, no prob.

If the disease is this rapid, try to get some Furan 2 or Kanaplex asap. Or --both-- Maracyn 1& 2, not either of them alone.

What you want is broad spectrum meds, because we don't know exactly what's causing this. IMO, it's almost certainly bacterial, but there's a couple of different kinds of bacteria that are killed off by different kinds of meds.

So a "broad spectrum" medication that is antibiotic, not just antiseptic, would be the next thing I did for a fish with this problem.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If has no iodine, no prob.

If the disease is this rapid, try to get some Furan 2 or Kanaplex asap. Or --both-- Maracyn 1& 2, not either of them alone.

What you want is broad spectrum meds, because we don't know exactly what's causing this. IMO, it's almost certainly bacterial, but there's a couple of different kinds of bacteria that are killed off by different kinds of meds.

So a "broad spectrum" medication that is antibiotic, not just antiseptic, would be the next thing I did for a fish with this problem.
Thank you SO much Aus!
I'll definitely get Furan 2 and Kanaplex!

Also, thanks for clearing up the salt thing, It is pure sea salt.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I agree with Aus. It could be columnaris but its hard to tell for sure. Certainly treat this with meds and instead of the salt maybe consider doing a fish dip/bath with meth blue or paraguard in addition to treating with Furan and Kanaplex. It is nasty whatever it is to be moving so quickly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got both the Furan 2 and Kanaplex.
I really love this fish and would hate to see him go....
Especially only owning him for a short period of time, but if he does go at least he wasn't stuck in a small container in a pet store.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I woke up this morning and he passed....
I'm really sad but I tried all that I could =/
Thank you so much Aus and CJ for helping me out :).
Things happen that we can't always fix ;( -sigh-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.