Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Denny, my precious little guy, is biting his fins. I have never dealt with fin biting before, I guess I should feel lucky, LOL. Anyway, I've done a bunch of research, I've read the Fin Biting Vs. Fin Rot sticky, but nowhere can I find anything that will make him heal faster (if there is such a thing) or at least something that will make him more comfortable. He's a VT, so I don't think he's giving himself a "haircut", and he's in a temporary 2 gallon while I get the new 10 gallon ready for him (I am doing frequent water changes) so that might be part of why he was biting them in the first place. Thanks for your help, everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no established reason for fin biting; just opinions and anecdotal evidence for opinions...including mine. There is a common denominator from reports on this forum: Brightness of light and open tanks without a lot of planting and/or cover; cover doesn't mean "hides." Over time, these can produce stress. Can you post a photo of the tank?

Other theories are boredom, stress, long finnage, etc.

I order online and sometimes the Betta will bite their fins during transit. I treat with Seachem StressGuard for as long as it takes...usually 10-14 days. Dose the tank daily. I did not have the same success with API Stresscoat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Denny is in a temporary 2 gallon with a plant and a cave. I should probably get him some more plants, now that you mention it. I'll also pick up some StressGuard. Thanks for your help!! :-D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.