Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This heat is causing my tank water to go to 86 F, and it's stressing out my poor Mr. Betta out to the point that he's nipping his fins.. I already keep the lights off, the heater is out of the tank and there is a fan in my window to help circulate the air in my room a bit better (no A/C)..
What else can I do to help keep the water temp lower? I looked for some answers, but nothing really sounded suitable for a Betta. One suggestion was to place a small fan near the top of the tank, but that seems like it would also create more current, which I don't think would help his stress any.. Another thing was put ice cubes in a bag and let the bag float in the water.. Would that be acceptable? :cry:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've never had this problem, so I can't speak from experience. But, if someone asked me about this at work... I would probably suggest moving the fish to a basement or interior room without windows.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you have access to a freezer you can wet a towel, freeze it, then wrap it around the tank. Just make sure the "wet" towel is more damp than wet or it'll drip everywhere

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately there's really no other place to move it, there's only one window, and the basement is two stories below (a bit far to carry and 5.5 gallon tank)..
I put some cold water and ice in a bottle and that's now floating in the tank.. I'm hoping that works..

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I was gonna recommend the frozen ice bottle trick.

also if you can, get an extremely small fan. Like either a small desk fan or small if you can find one and have it blow across the top of the water. That should also help cool the tank down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.